DOG DAYS by Karen English CHAPTER 8
Brought to you by Navasota ISD and Texas Reads One Book
Read-Aloud Tip for Families - Don't be afraid to be silly
Accents, funny voices, and sound effect are all great tools to use to make reading aloud more engaging. Character-specific voices or mannerisms also help listeners follow the dialogue. It might be a challenge, but it's worth the effort to make your story come alive.
Chapter 8: Where did Carlotta go?
In chapter 8, Gavin and Carlotta are still not getting along. Something happens to Carlotta and Gavin panics. Continue reading to see what happens.
Chapter 8: Vocabulary Terms
- sprawled out (pg 101) - sitting in a relaxed position
- "lighten up" (pg 101) - relax and don't be so serious
- hostile (pg 102) - unfriendly
- propose (pg 104) - suggest
- irritation (pg 104) - inflammation or discomfort
- "dognapped" (pg 105) - kidnapping involving a dog
- ollie (pg 106) - a skateboard trick where the rider and board leap into the air without the use of the rider's hands
- double dutch (pg 107) - a jump-rope game played with two long jump ropes swing in opposite directions with the jumper in the middle
- inhales (pg 109) - breathes in
- appetite (pg 110) - a desire to satisfy a need for food
Chapter 8: Trivia Questions
- What words popped into Gavin's head as soon as he woke up?
- What does Gavin notice his sister doing during breakfast?
- What are the three reason Gavin loves Fridays?
- Why is Aunt Myrtle frantic when Gavin gets home from schools?
- Why was Carlotta not wearing her collar?
Chapter 8: Discussion Questions
- Gavin's mom makes French toast every Friday. Do you have any traditions like that in your family? What is your favorite breakfast treat?
- Aunt Myrtle is so upset about Carlotta that she can't eat. How would you feel if your pet was missing?
Family Activity: From a Pet's Point of View
With your family, come up with a story of Carlotta's escape from her point of view. Elaborate on her thoughts and feelings.
Use the BINGO card as another family activity!