May 4, 2015
The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things--Ronald Reagan
Click the red button to go directly to the staff online calendar. The two weeks shown below is just a snapshot as of 5/1/15
News to Roar About
- Thank you Shelley Everett for helping a second grade student!
- 1st grade and support team for the awesome baby shower for Malissa and Amber. It was a lovely event and enjoyed by all!
- I just wanted to thank second grade for team time this week. We are truly focused on learning as a collaborative team!
- Joan Tullis for cleaning and sanitizing our ice cream freezers.
- Tom Gibby for your hard work to order and organize 800 tee shirts to ensure that each student got what they ordered.
- Mike Stanton, Marcy Florey & Donna Hargrave for your awesome IGNITE sessions! Your sharing helps us all to grow!
- Tom Gibby for your assistance with student on the playground Your help is greatly appreciated!
- APs for handling all of the testing requirements and challenges and the extra support for friends in need during testing.
- Christy LeMaster for your great planning for a very smooth testing season!
- Lisa Newton and Debbie Davis for your work on the Poetry Cafe. The students did an outstanding job and they did an awesome job of leading the way in celebrating poetry this month.
- Congratulations to Mike Stanton on being selected to receive the Coaching Endorsement in 2015-2016! We are proud of you!
- Big thanks to Mrs. Harvey for her professionalism and awesome flexible demeanor in helping kiddos get speech when Mrs. Lavendar & Mrs. Hampton are out! Thank you! We love you!
- Shelley Everett for designing the 20th birthday logo and for designing our writing template.
- The Maker Faire Planning Team for your outstanding work behind the scenes to make all of the details come together!
- Thank you to the support team, Myesha, and Sonar for your countless hours of helping with make-ups and testing support!
- Donna Hargrave for coming out on a Saturday to support your students as they led Super Story Saturday. It meant a lot to your students!
- Debbie Davis for your coaching of the Witzzle Pro team. They did a great job on Saturday at the tournament.
- STEM Lab Teachers for your time and leadership on developing the Maker Faire lesson plans and ordering supplies!
- Shannon Wiley on her successful completion of Teachers as Leaders! We are proud of you!
- Amanda Acres on her successful completion of the Aspiring Leaders Program. We are proud of you!
- Office team for a great planning session on Monday! We appreciate you and all you do to keep Harbins running smoothly for all! We love the way you make our families feel welcome and supported when they come to Harbins!
Staff Appreciation Week
- Monday-Friday-- watch for a special surprise in your mailbox.
- Monday- Graystone provides a breakfast in the Tiger Conference Room
- Friday- PTA will provide a Chick-fil-a lunch in the Front Office Conference Room-- stop by and pick up your lunch on your break.
PTA - Staff Appreciation Lunch
Please park on the front lawn on Friday.
Blue Ice will be for sale at Lunch on the Lawn for $2.00. Please remind students and parents.
Year End Book Room Reminders
As per your checklist, the book room books are due to be returned to the book room NEXT FRIDAY, MAY 8TH. This will allow time for them to be inventoried, organized, and prepped so that you can begin using them right away in the fall.
As there will still be two weeks of school left, here are just a few suggestions for reading resources in lieu of book room book sets:
- Read Works Passages (online, free, and leveled)
- Reading A to Z (Online...If you don't have an account, you can sign up for a free trial.)
- Old TFK or Scholastic News articles (These are located below the games in the book room. You can take them and KEEP them.)
- Sets of books in your classroom that came with your LA adoption
- Quality passages selected from your anthology
- Sets of SS books in your classrooms
- SS and Science textbooks
Please do your best to recover all of your books OR collect $10 for each lost book.
IF you are missing a book, be sure to visit the "books without bags" basket on the bottom of the book room cart. Many times loose book room books come home to rest here when they are accidentally misplaced by your students. You might find what you are missing here!
Remember, the book room welcomes home all books with open arms. If you find a book room book on your shelf, in a desk, behind furniture, etc. as you clean up for the end of the year. Do not be afraid to send it home. We will welcome it with open arms no matter how long it has been missing. :)
Please let Bridget know if you need any help in rounding up your materials. I am happy to help!
Thanks for all you do to help keep these valuable materials organized and available for kiddos!
Free Access to Digital Books All Summer
myON Reader has partnered with the Get Georgia Reading Campaign to provide free summer access to a library of more than 8,000 enhanced digital books with multimedia supports.
Login information: School name: Get Georgia Reading, Campaign for Grade Level Reading (When you begin typing this in the window, a dropdown menu should appear;
this option is the first one.)
User name and password: read
This free access expires August 30, 2015.
State Board of Education Survey for the Evaluation of Science and Social Studies Georgia Performance Standards
Summer School 2015
The Archer Cluster Elementary summer school will be at Harbins for 2015. Harbins has been allotted one teacher position. If you are interested in teaching summer school, please complete the teacher application and return to Christy LeMaster by Tuesday, May 12.
- Teacher hours: 7:30am - 3:20pm = 8 hrs
- Student hours: 8:00am - 3:00pm = 7hrs
- Salary - $32.50 per hr for 17 days, which include 2 pre-planning days and 15 instructional days. Total $4,420
The summer school calendar is also attached so you can make plans. If you have any questions about summer school, please ask Christy. Thanks!
Beyond the Core Staff Development during Pre-Planning
The Curriculum and Instruction team will be offering pre-planning staff development sessions for our teachers who work in the beyond the core areas (Fine Arts, Health/PE, Foreign Language, ESOL, Special Education, Gifted, and CTE) on August 5 at the following times:
Middle School/High School Teachers - morning session (8:00am - 12:00pm)
Elementary Teachers - afternoon session (1:00pm - 5:00pm)
The specific location and session information will be provided in a subsequent message.
Maker Faire Classroom Display
- Student writing about the best things about Harbins
- Student writing about what Harbins means to them
- Digital Projects that guests can scan from QR code to view
- Happy Birthday creative art work
- AKS related projects that the students have recently completed
We want to show our guests and parents what learning looks like today at Harbins ES vs 20 years ago.
Harbins Summer eCLASS/D2L Staff Development
News From Other Schools
- Debbie Miller from Simonton Elementary will be celebrating her retirement on Tuesday, May 12th at 4:00 in the Simonton ES Media Ctr. RSVP to Stephanie Flemish if you wish to attend.
- Please join Trip ES in honoring Laura Marks as she retires on Tuesday, May 19th in the Media Center at 3:15 pm.
- Please join Lawrenceville ES as they honor Brenda Jones as she retires on Monday, May 18th at 4:30 pm in the Cafeteria.
- You are invited to Pharr ES to honor Casey Fisher and Jerry Clark for their upcoming Retirement on Wednesday, May 13th in the Media Center.
- You are invited to Summerour Middle School for a Farewell Social - 1963 - 2015 on Friday, May 22nd from 5:30 - 7:30.
- Please join B.B. Harris ES as they honor Mary Ellen Doughty and Cindi Embry on their Retirement on Tuesday, May 5th from 7:40 a.m. to 8:15 am in the Cafeteria.
Summer Cleaning Schedule
- Moving into a room: Stack your boxes/items along the wall in front of the whiteboard
- June 8-July 16- Summer School and ESY will take place at Harbins in designated classrooms
- July 6-24 Floors will be waxed and the building will be closed to working in rooms. We will send out summer emails to notify teachers when rooms have been cleaned and can be set up for the fall.
Snow Make-Up Day for Instructional Staff (Teachers and Parapros)
As your make-up time for the staff day missed due to snow, we will begin work we had already planned for our staff on Formative Instructional Practices. You will use the directions sent to you via by Cindy Truett on 4-15-15 to get into the PD&E course and complete two online course modules. You will go onto the D2L Harbins landing page after completing the two modules to enter your reflections on a discussion board. It is very obvious where the discussion board is located when you get to the landing page. All of this must be completed by May 21.
It is all online so you can complete it at your convenience in your favorite jammies or sweats on your favorite chair or couch. :-) The PD&E tool tracks your progress in completing the modules. The online discussion board will provide your evidence of your learning. We will continue with the remainder of the modules for our work for the fall. To meet the snow make-up requirements, you will complete the following modules:
FIP Module 1 Introduction
FIP Module 2 Clear Learning Targets
Staff Development Survey (SAI)
Kid Talk Assessments-- Due in spreadsheets--ensure that your data is entered
eCLASS Summer Staff Development
The attached link is to an online flyer with information on eCLASS Summer Staff Development Sessions. The online flyer includes course descriptions, dates and locations as well as PDE section numbers. For questions about eCLASS Summer Staff Development please email or call Dona Smith in the eCLASS office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 678-301-7293.
Technology Weekly Update (Please click each week for new info.)
Grade Level Professional Learning
- May 6 NO Tool Time
- May 7 Math/Literacy/Tech Combo
- May 11-15 RBES Conferences (detailed schedule to be sent)
- May 22 All Staff Meeting for EOY at 12:30 (Luncheon at 11:30 in the cafe)
Classroom Spirit Award
School Improvement Team
The SIT Team meeting will be held on May 5th from 1:15 - 4:00. Location: Professional Development Room. Read professional article for our session (same article from last session).
News to Roar About
We will place “News to Roar About” in the Roar each Monday. It is our hope that throughout the year that you will take time to send us a note to let us know about a colleague who deserves recognition for outstanding work. Please be sure to share your compliments with us so we can highlight those individuals in the Roar. You can email compliments to Cindy Truett or Montine Powell.
Leaders in Learning
A Chrome file has been shared with each teacher, please go in to list your Leader in Learning each month when Montine sends out the notification email.