The Tiger Times
A Note from your Principal
Dear West Newton families,
Thank you for supporting West Newton's arts program and enjoying our West Newton's Got Talent Show and Art Show. We have talented tigers at West Newton! We have some special events coming up in March and we would love to see our West Newton families at school for our PTO and Music events:
- Fri., March 8 = Book Fair Grand Opening and Grandparents Night from 5:30-7:30; delicious dinner items will be on sale and, of course, some great books and fun times!
- March 12-14 = IREAD for all grade 3 students
- March 8-15 = Book Fair (families are welcome to have lunch with your child and to browse the Book Fair)
- Thurs., March 14 = Grades 1&2 Music Program and the Book Fair will be open, too!
- March 15-21 = STAR/Renaissance testing in ELA and Math
Our students are learning wonderful things each day and teachers love to showcase our students' skills. Thank you for sharing your children with all of us at West Newton. I can't wait to see you at school in March!
With Tiger Pride,
Susan D. Strube
Dates are to be determined based on enrollment.
For more information or to register for the class, please contact Jason Seaver at firstname.lastname@example.org.
POPCORN FRIDAY ~ March 8th & 21st
Popcorn days this month will be Friday, March 8th and Thursday, March 21st.
Book Fair Week ~ Lunch with Someone you Love
- Fri., March 8 = Grade 6 at 1:00pm
- March 8 is also Grandparents' Night from 5:30-7:30pm with a Dinosaur-themed Dinner and lots of shopping for books!
- Mon., March 11 = Grade 5 at 12:00pm
- Tues., March 12 = Grade 1 at 10:30
- Wed., March 13 = Grade 2 at 11:30
- Thurs., March 14 = Grade 3 at 11:00
- Fri., March 15 = Grade 4 at 12:30
West Newton PTO ~ Events at a Glance
Tuesday, 5th @ 6pm - - - PTO Meeting
Friday, 8th / 5:30 - 7:30 - - - Grandparent's Night and Book Fair Grand Opening
Friday, 8th - 15th - - - Book Fair (Lunch with Someone You Love)
Thursday, 14th @ 7pm - - - 1st & 2nd Grade Program
Friday, 22nd - 29th - - - Spring Break
Monday, 1st - - - School Reconvenes
Tuesday, 2nd @ 6pm - - - PTO Meeting
Friday, 26th / 6:00 - 8:00 - - - Movie Night
Week of May 6th - Staff Appreciation Week
Tuesday, 7th @ 6pm - - - PTO Meeting
Wednesday, 15th and 16th - - - BOGO Book Fair
Wednesday, 15th @ 5:30pm - - - Tiger Pride Showcase
Thursday, 16th @ 7pm - - - 5th & 6th Grade Program
Thursday, 23rd / 12:00-2:00 - - - 6th Grade Celebration
Go to www.decaturproud.org
Click on the tab 'Families', then 'Volunteer' to submit an electronic form.
Don't have a computer, not a problem. Volunteer forms are available in the school office.
For more information contact:
Bev O'Toole 317-241-0183 or email@example.com
Practice equals mastery ~ students will gain confidence and show success in the classroom. If you need help with ideas and/or strategies, contact your child's teacher.
A NOTE FROM THE NURSE
Due to the recent outbreak of the Norovirus and strep throat here in the state of Indiana, we feel it’s important to review our guidelines in regards to children who are sick at home and/or at school.
If your child is vomiting or has diarrhea before school and it’s not related to any other medical condition, it is often most appropriate to keep him/her home from school. A child who is sick will not be able to perform well in school and is likely to spread the illness to other children and staff. Please make arrangements for childcare ahead of time to avoid spreading contagious illnesses any further.
Our school guidelines state that you do not send your child to school if he/she has:
- 1. Fever in the past 24 hours of 100.0 degrees or higher
- 2. Vomiting/diarrhea in the past 24 hours (not related to other conditions)
- 3. Strep throat-MUST take antibiotics for at least 24 hours before coming back to school
- 4. If child has been up most of the night with a bad cough, keep him/her home and its best to see their doctor before returning if symptoms persist.
If your child becomes ill at school and the teacher or nurse feels the child may have a contagious illness, you will be called to come and take him/her home from school. It is essential that your child’s info is updated with a correct phone number where you can be contacted AND an emergency contact in case you cannot be reached. If your daytime or emergency phone numbers change during the year, PLEASE contact the school’s front office immediately with appropriate contact information.
These guidelines are meant to serve in the best interests of all the children and staff here at West Newton. As always, THANK YOU for your efforts in keeping our tiger cubs safe and healthy! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call!
Mrs. Paige Ison, RN
BOX TOPS for EDUCATION
Clipping Box Tops for Education is an easy way to help earn cash for our school. Each one is worth 10¢ for our school! Just look for the pink Box Tops on hundreds of products. All you have to do is clip them and send them to school. Your child can earn personal rewards and rewards for their class or grade level when they bring in Box Tops! For more information on Box Tops, including a list of participating products, go to BTFE.com. Be sure to sign up as a member (it’s free!) so you can check out our school’s earnings details and get access to coupons and bonus offers. You can also download the Box Tops Bonus App to earn even more money for our school.
Thank you for your support!