October 28, 2022
A Successful Week of Conferences and Fun
Dear LISD Families,
This might be the busiest week of our 2022-23 school year thus far. Thanks for coming to fall conferences and taking the time to connect with teachers to learn more about your child's academic and social-emotional progress in school.
Big thanks to LIPTSA for a super fun Pumpkin Extravaganza on Thursday, October 27. It was well attended and students of all ages were busy carving pumpkins and having fun. This event brings so much joy, and we truly appreciate all the planning and hard work that make it possible. Thank you, LIPTSA!
October is Farm to School month and we want to recognize the Lopez Island Farming Education program and everyone who works to make it shine...Sara Jones, LIFE Coordinator and Sustainable Agriculture Teacher; Sara Wysocki, Gardener; John Shaw, Chef...along with the whole kitchen crew; Tuoya Deach, Garden Enrichment Teacher; and Wendy Stephenson, Culinary Teacher. This program has become a model for other schools seeking to teach young people where food comes from, healthy and sustainable wellness and agriculture practices, and what is possible when we feed students food that we grow on our own campus.
As mentioned above, Wendy Stephenson is our new culinary teacher! We deeply appreciate Bob Wood for teaching this class for our first quarter, and Wendy for stepping in to finish out the year. She has some great plans for our culinary arts students.
We welcome another new staff member, Ece Kocak, as a paraeducator. Thanks for joining the team, Ece.
We hope you have a great weekend. If you celebrate Halloween, enjoy some spooky fun!
All our best to you and your family,
Mary and Martha
Lunch Menu Week Ending November 4, 2022
From Our School Counselor, Jeanna Carter
LOPEZ HS Graduation Information Night with Pizza!
When: Thursday, November 3, 2022
Who: Lopez High School Parent/Guardians and High School Students,
What: Graduation Requirements; including the 3 Lopez High School Diplomas, Community Service and HS and Beyond Planning.
Where: To be determined.
RSVP: Jeanna Carter- jcarter @lopezislandschool.org or 360-468-2219 extension 2123.
From the Art Room
Middle School Art
Middle school students made cardboard haunted houses in art.
SAP Field Trip
SAP students headed out to CrowFoot Farm this week for some apple tasting with Eric Hall.
Community Event in partnership with the LIFRC
Is Your Kiddo Neurodivergent and/or Disabled?
Join ALIGN (Advocates of Lopez Island Gathering for Neurodiversity) for dinner, drinks, conversation, and collaboration.
November 3rd , 6-7pm @ Grace Hall
Need additional accommodations? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can’t make it? No worries. Check out weALIGN.org for future events.
Have a quick minute?
We’ve created a needs assessment for neurodivergent and/or disabled youth, as well as their parents and caretakers. We’d love to know what services and supports you’d like to see on Lopez Island.
Middle school fall sports have come to an end but boys' basketball practice started this week.
High school volleyball and soccer teams are both in post season competition with Saturday games this week. Good luck on the road, Lobos!
Last Friday, we celebrated our senior volleyball players, and on Tuesday, we celebrated our senior soccer players. Coaches said a few words about each player, their leadership, and their contributions to the team.
In Appreciation of our Senior Athletes
Homecoming Pep Rally
Spooky Fun at the LIPTSA Pumpkin Carving Extravaganza!
Malachi for the most creative pumpkin win!
Pumpkin carving is serious business!
Feliz Dia de los Muertos!
The Heritage Spanish class students are planning a presentation on the history of El Dia de los Muertos for Wednesday, November 2. They have invited parents, staff, and community members. Here is Jennifer Ramos, Spanish Club President, standing next to a bulletin board inviting us to add photos of loved ones who have passed away.
MPPACT Performing in the Village on Halloween!
Our favorite band is performing at 6:00 on "the boards" in front of Holly B's. They'll be playing all your Halloween favorites....Thriller, Monster Mash, Ghost Busters, and more. Don't miss it!
Volunteers Needed in Secondary
Please contact Martha Martin (email@example.com) if you can volunteer either as a lunch time supervisor or an after-school tutor. Tutoring is needed to help students one-on-one who need help with their school work (all subjects). Lunch time supervision is needed because we are understaffed and could use more friendly adult presence around the school when our secondary students who don't go off campus (so primarily middle school) have free time.
New After School Program
Dear Lopez Families,
The Lopez Island Family Resource Center together with LISD and community partners, such as the Lopez Library, KWIAHT, ALIGN, and Voices and Visions are planning out-of-school time programs for two age groups: K-5th graders and 6-8th graders. We are very excited to offer enriching learning activities FREE of COST to families funded by a 21st Century Community Learning Center (21st CCLC) grant.
Themes: Arts and Crafts, STEM, Design, Culinary Day, Sports and Active Games, Music, Dance, Youth Leadership Opportunities, Literacy, Homework "Club" and more.
Participants will have a choice in projects and activities that best fit their interests.
- K-5th grade: Stina Soderlind, Melissa Montalvo, Quaniqua Williams, Zaia Grace
- 6-8th grade: Michael Rosekrans, Byron Kalet, Katrina Hebert
Would your child like to apply for a spot in one of two After-School-Programs starting November 7, 2022?
If so, please fill out this form.
Term 1 Grades
Thanks to all who came to conferences this week to discuss your child's learning. Report cards for Term 1 will be mailed home early next week. We encourage you to check Canvas as often as you like to get the most current information about your child's grades and assignments in each class.
San Juan Islands Poetry Contest
Open Positions at Lopez Island School
- ParaEducators and ParaEducator Substitutes - Interested in working with students individually, in small groups, and/or in general classrooms and helping assist teachers in modifying student behavior? You can apply to become a ParaEducator with a regular schedule or else a ParaEducator sub for flexibility!
- Cook/ Dishwasher three days a week and Substitutes- Help make and share all the FRESH, HEALTHY, and DELICIOUS local foods with the children and staff of Lopez Island School! We are looking for some help in the fast-paced, fun and friendly kitchen at Lopez Island School.
- Bus Driver Substitutes - Lopez Island School District is accepting applications for qualified school bus drivers substitutes with potential for upcoming permanent positions. Candidates must be appropriately endorsed for CDL and Washington State School Bus driving, or be willing to complete a training class administered by Lopez Island School District (likely late October/ early November 2022).
- Special Needs Behavior Technician- If you have been thinking about being a Special Needs Behavior Technician for Lopez Island School District...well you are in luck!!!! We are looking for a Special Needs Behavior Technician to hire for this school year!! Behavior technicians are responsible for assisting behavior specialists and the Special Education department to implement behavior reduction and skill acquisition treatment plans. The candidate will assist students with day to day activities, monitor their behavior, record and collect data on students’ progress, and communicate with the team.
- Special Services Administrative Assistant- to provide assistance to the Special Services Coordinator and the District’s Special Services programs. There will be a high degree of confidentiality and attention to detail required, as this person works with parents, students, and others to serve students with special needs and those struggling with school. There will be some flexibility of schedule desired, but the position is based upon 15 hours per week throughout the calendar year.
- Van Driver - Want to get out and see the island? This transportation position drives a wheelchair van (or another vehicle) to transport student(s) with special needs to and from school. This 3.5 hour per day, Monday through Friday. This position qualifies for paid time off, retirement, and insurance benefits!
- 1.0 FTE Special Education Teacher - We are looking for a full-time Special Education teacher to help serve our students starting this school year. This is a 7.5 hours per day, Monday through Friday position qualifying for paid time off, retirement, and insurance benefits!
- .2 FTE Culinary Teacher - This is a .2 FTE secondary teaching position to work with middle and high school students as a Culinary teacher starting as soon as possible and/or January 2023. The instructor would be responsible for up to one full school year Culinary class.
- Grounds/Gardener - This position is for a Grounds person/Gardener averaging 4 hours per day, Monday – Friday. The L.I.F.E. program involves the growing and harvesting of produce and other foods in school gardens, often with the help of students, interns and volunteers, to be used in the production of school lunches.
Secondary RTI provide intervention support for the purpose of improving academic and/or behavior achievement in different secondary settings.
HI CAP - providing leadership of the Special Service Program for Highly Capable (HC) students, grades K-12, in the Lopez Island School District.
Robotics - advising students grades 3-12 in an after school or weekend club. Topics and scope will be arranged with the secondary principal and will tie in to the curriculum and focus of the school.
Lopez Island School District
Ed Murray, Superintendent
Martha Martin, Secondary Principal
Mary Fordham, Elementary Principal
The Lopez Island School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employee(s) has been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Compliance Coordinator, Ed Murray – firstname.lastname@example.org; Title IX Coordinator, HR Specialist, Summer Hagge – email@example.com; Section 504, Mary Fordham – firstname.lastname@example.org; OR contact by phone, 360-468-2202, OR mail to 86 School Rd, Lopez Island, WA 98261.