Elements, Compounds, and Chemistry!
By: Morgan Cure
What is an Element/Compound:
Element and Compound Properties:
What Happens to Element Properties When They Form Compounds?
Are the Properties of a Compound the Same as the Elements That Form It?
What Happens to the Properties if a Compound Separates Back to the Elements That Formed It?
How are compounds formed/separated? can they be separated?
How Are They Formed?
How Are They Separated?
Can They Be Separated?
What are some similarities and differences between elements & compounds?
- They are both made up of atoms
- They both have a chemical change
- and they are both part of physical science
- Elements are represented by using symbols, but compounds are represented by using a formula
- Only 177 elements have been observed, but the number of compounds are endless
- and elements are pure substances, but compounds contains atoms of different elements that have been chemically combined
what are chemical formulas?
What Are Coefficients And Subscripts?
- 2 H2+O2 --> 2 H20
- 2 Ca+O2 --> 2 CaO
(Bolded numbers are the coefficients.)
(Bolded numbers are the subscripts.)
How do you count elements and atoms in a chemical formula?
This is the Way You Count Elements and Atoms in a Chemical Formula!
Follow step by step, and you will be a pro at counting elements and atoms in chemical formulas in no time!
1. First, identify the elements in the chemical formula and write them down.
2. Second, you add the subscript (1) to the elements that do not have a subscript already.
- Cl2C3Si1F6 2+3+1+6=12 atoms