Panda Family News
We Learn. We Collaborate. We Celebrate.
A Note from Miss Fisher
Today's Panda Family News has information regarding:
- Picture Gallery for Pumpkin Character Contest
- #ReadWithMissFisher for #READvolution minutes
- PES Enchanted Forest Book Fair
- Battle of the Books
- PES Young Authors
- Amazon Smile
- Panda Packs Food Drive
Upcoming dates to place on your family calendar:
Tuesday, November 6th - No School
Wednesday, November 7th - Science Fair boards due & PTA Dining for Dollars at The Pickle Jar
Friday, November 9th - 4th Grade Veteran's Day Program @ 9:15 (2nd-3rd) & 1:50 (K-1st)
Tuesday, November 13th - Friday, November 16th Book Fair
Wednesday, November 14th - All Pro Dad Event
Thursday, November 15th - PES Science Fair @ 5:30-7
Please follow us on Social Media for updates!
Wishing you well #PandaFamily,
Pumpkin Book Character Contest
#ReadWithMissFisher for #READvolution
Read another book by Kobi Yamada with me! What are problems for? They challenge us, shape us, push us, and help us discover just how strong and brave and capable we really are! Even though we don't always want them, problems have a way of changing us in unexpected ways.
How close are you to your 800 minutes and two complimentary Carolina Hurricanes tickets?!?!
Panda Packs Thanksgiving Food Drive
The Book Fair is Coming!
The Scholastic Book Fair is right around the corner. On November 13-16th the media center will be home to a wonderful selection of engaging and affordable books for every reading level, and all purchases benefit our school. Online shopping begins on November 4th. Check out the Book Fair homepage to check out this year's book flyer, open hours or to set-up an eWallets account for your child, a new digital payment option.
We are also looking for volunteers to help man the register and help kids find the books they want! Check out the list of open times or reach out to Rebecca Reed (email@example.com) if you want to participate.
See you at the Book Fair!
Book Fair homepage - http://www.scholastic.com/bf/pittsboroelementaryschool
Volunteer availability - https://volunteer.scholastic.com/#/signup/q3oldL0Nq
The science Fair is just a few weeks away so we'd like to share some updates and reminders about the projects:
* Projects are due on Wednesday, November 7 and winners will be announced on Science Night, which is on November 15, from 5:30-7:00. Winners of the science fair will be announced and all participants will be recognized at 6:30 p.m. in the multi-purpose room.
* Please do not include any identifying information (names, pictures, etc.) on the display board. If possible, bring the projects in the morning, before 8:15.
* We have noticed in the past that projects that go on to the county level fair tend to include information about "variables" and "controls". It would be great if students could include a sentence or two about this.
* Let us know by Friday if your child needs a display board for his/her project. We have several left over from last year and can order more if needed!
* Still need an idea for a project? Science Buddies is a great website to help students find project ideas. Students answer a series of questions and the site generates project ideas based on their responses.
Please let Ms. Ewald or Ms. Jacob know if you have any questions about the Science Fair - we look forward to seeing your students' projects!
Battle of the Books
All 4th Grade PES Students are invited to participate in Battle of the Books! Battle of the Books (BOB) team members read similar chapter books then answer questions about those books. The primary purpose of Battle of the Books is to provide voluntary reading enjoyment opportunities for our students. Please fill out the BOB Contract and return to Mrs. Jeremiah if you are interested! She also has paper copies to pick up in the media center.
PES Young Authors
PES is accepting original stories written by students in grades K-4 for the Chatham County Schools Young Authors writing program. Each year all student authors are invited to write, publish and submit their own book. Judges from the school staff will read and reflect on each book. All students who submit a book for Young Authors will be recognized during school wide celebrations in the spring. A small number of student books will be selected to be recognized at a district wide celebration at Fearrington Village scheduled for Tuesday, April 9th, 2019 at 5:30pm.
2018-2019 - Submissions Due to the school library by Friday, January 18th, 2019!
Questions or comments should be directed to Karen Jeremiah, PES school librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org Feel free to visit the library to see examples of Young Authors books from years past. Information page here