Ms. Kelley's Newsletter
Week of: August 17-19th
HOMEWORK IS NOT MANDATORY, BUT ENCOURAGED AS IT REINFORCES SKILLS WE WORK ON AT SCHOOL!
- Students will be logging their reading dates in the reading log. I encourage all students to read at least 4 times a week for a minimum of 20 minutes. The reading log can be found by clicking on the button below.
- none (but next week that may change!)
Announcements & Reminders:
- Don't forget that you can get the Remind app on your phone so you can communicate with me about any quick questions you have. I will send out reminders and many other things through the app. You can also change your preference if you'd rather receive a text or an email (or both). If you have any questions about the program, I'd be happy to answer them.
- Girls can join the program called Girls on the Run that will meet afterschool a few times a week. It's a fun program where girls build friendship, character, and train for a 5k in the process. Registration can be done online; be quick because the deadline to register is August 26th http://www.gotrswmo.org/get-involved/register-your-girl
- Don't forget to review the classroom handbook before the end of the week. The back sheet needs to be signed and brought back (or you may scan/snap a pic of it and send to me).
What We're Learning
- Chapter 1: Place Value
- reading, writing, comparing and ordering numbers and their value
- (an advanced math group will be starting as soon as I place students accordingly)
- Writing: how to take effective notes for classtime and research
- Reading: choosing appropriate books, reading time procedures; read aloud The Kid in the Red Jacket
- Unit--Who We Are (human body)
- Central Idea: Awareness of personal and global health issues inspires action.
- Lines of Inquiry: impact of disease on society, myths and misunderstandings about disease, individual and society's responsibilities