Go Green, Kinders!
What We've Learned This Week
- We reviewed short and long vowels
- The students listened to a “Ladybugs” passage.
- They read the passage as a group and individually
- They circled the words they don’t understand
- They answered the comprehension questions about the reading.
- The students inferred the following words’ meaning from the passage: omnivore, aphid, pest, crops, and protection.
- They defined the word “ omnivore” in their vocabulary notebook.
- The students wrote detailed sentences about what they learned from the recycling project.
- They used a graphic organizer to write about the main idea and details of stories read in class.
- The students worked together to complete math word problems
- They drew and wrote the equation for each problem
- We reviewed what a "numerator" and "denominator" is.
- The students practiced writing fractions after listening to the name of the fraction (e.g. four fifths, three sixths...etc)
- We reviewed insects names and body parts.
- After reading the "Ladybugs" passage, we discussed the importance of ladybugs to gardeners and farmers, their diet, and their life cycle.
- The students recycled paper.
- We reusing plastic bottles to build a trash can
- The students painted and decorated paper rolls to make pencil holders.
Writing & Handwriting Skills
They practiced writing their spelling words in their journal using 3 activities from the spelling activity sheet (organizing words alphabetically)
Reusing Water Bottles
Decorating Paper Rolls
Questions to Ask Your Child
- What does “omnivore” mean?
- What sounds do the following vowels make and give examples of words with these vowels: short a, long a, short e, long e, short i, long i, short o, long o, short u, long u?
- How can you write words with long e, a, i, o, or u [e.g. CVCe (here) or CVVC(seat)]?
- What part of the fraction is the "numerator" and what part is the "denominator"?
- What key words in math word problems that showsif the problem is an addition or a subtraction problem?
- Why are ladybugs important to farmers and gardeners?
- How can paper be recycled?
- Name some ideas to reuse plastic bottles, paper rolls, styrofoam, and glass.