Diseases & Illenesses
There are a number of genetic disease for which person of jewish heritage are likely to be carries of. Estimated 1 in 2 Ashkenazi jews in the United States is a carrier of at least one of 38 Jewish genetic diseases such as:
- Alpha Thalassemia
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Wolman Disease
Stress Releivers & Everyday Activities
- Daily prayers three time each day in the morning (shachartit), the afternoon (Mincha), and after sunset (Ma'ariv or Arvit).
- Synagogues are for congregational prayer and study. On Monday, Thrusday, the Sabbath, festivals, and High Holy Days, the synagogues service includes readings in Hebrew
from the Torah and the Prophets.
Beliefs on Tobacco & Alcohol
Family & Marriage Structure
• Judaism believes in the concept of soul mates, called bashert
• The primary purpose of marriage is love and companionship, not just childbearing
• A contract called a ketubah spells out terms of marriage and divorce
• Marriages between certain close relatives are prohibited
• Children born out of wedlock are not bastards in Jewish law
Thoughts on family structure today, having children and instilling Jewish values in them is seen as a counterbalance to the shrinking Jewish populace, and some Jews believe they have a responsibility to create Jewish children in part to make up for the vast number of Jews lost during the Holocaust.