Guidance Newsletter June 2021
Shawnee High School
A Note From Guidance
We wish you all a safe and relaxing summer!
June 2nd: Final Exams - Seniors Only...9th-11th grades will follow a normal schedule
June 3rd: Final Exams - All Grades...Open Campus
June 4th: Final Exams - 9th-11th Grades...Open Campus
No final exams will be given early. If students are aware they are going to be absent the day of final exams, please communicate with their teachers to schedule a time for the student to make-up the exam.
We encourage all students to make smart and safe choices during their down time in between exams.
Shawnee High School Alumni
No student will be permitted to participate in the graduation ceremony without the appropriate cap and gown. Do not decorate the cap.
All student materials must be turned in and fees paid in order for students to participate in the graduation ceremony.
All graduates must attend graduation rehearsal! Anyone NOT attending the rehearsal will NOT be permitted to take part in the actual graduation ceremony.
- Friday, June 4th, 9:00 am - 11:00 am, at the SHS football stadium
- Please arrive by 8:55 am
- Student can park by the stadium
- If it rains, then students will be in the gym
- Students will receive a seating chart at graduation practice and that will give you a good idea where they will be seated during the ceremony, but all students will walk across the stage and receive their diploma at the center of the stage which will be at the 50 yd line
- Every senior will receive 12 tickets at graduation rehearsal
- Everyone planning to attend must have a ticket
- If you need more, you can ask other seniors if they have extra
- Mr. Owen will be in the ticket booth at the stadium at 12pm and may have additional ones then
- Sunday, June 6th at 2:00pm
- All graduates should plan to arrive no later than 1:15 pm
- Seniors should park in the front parking lot the day of graduation if they are driving themselves. They will come through the main doors and meet in the auditorium
Gates will open at 1:00pm for parents and families to enter
No reserved seats...first come, first serve
- Following the ceremony and after pictures with friends & family, graduates will bring their gown to the west cafeteria. Then they will receive a ticket to take to their counselor to receive their actual diploma
- We encourage students to dress up, even though they will have the gown over their clothes. It's suggested to wear a shirt and tie with nice pants & shoes, but not required
Teacher: Mr. Lewis, High School Chemistry
What do you appreciate about this teacher: He is funny and has a good class to be in.
Describe a memory you have with this teacher: All the road trips with him and the wrestling team
From: Carter Sites, 10th grade
Teacher: Mrs. Kuhlman, High School English 11 & AP English
What do you appreciate about this teacher: Mrs. Kuhlman genuinely cares about every student. She actually teaches very well and helps you understand anything if you are confused about it. She makes a seventh period class fun even though you are ready to get out and go home. She knows what we are thinking and puts herself in our shoes. She is overall a kind person who you can talk to about anything.
Describe a memory you have with this teacher: I just always know, whenever that I can talk to her if I am going through anything, she will be there to help you out. I always like just getting to class early to talk to her or coming in at study hall.
From: Audrey Wheeler, 11th grade
Teacher: Mrs.Hefner, High School Biology & Global Science
What do you appreciate about this teacher: She kind, sweet and understanding
Describe a memory you have with this teacher: When she laughs with us when someone makes a joke
From: Ethan Furr, 9th grade
Teacher: All SHS teachers!
What do you appreciate about this teacher: SHS staff work incredibly hard to inspire students, colleagues, and even parents. The dedication to excellence has never been more evident than this year. I am proud to work with each one of you!
From: Sharla Murphy, High School Guidance Counselor
Teacher: Mr. Miller, High School English 10 & Advanced English 11
What do you appreciate about this teacher: He puts a lot of time and effort in for the students. He actually cares about his students and tries to do the best can to help us. He is genuine.
From: Kadin Engle, 10th grade
Teacher: Ms. Griffo, High School World Studies & American Government
What do you appreciate about this teacher: She cares a lot about her students and is always there for them. She shows motivational Monday and funny Friday to keep us going and to inspire us.
Describe a memory you have with this teacher: Always has something to laugh about in class
From: Ashleigh Volbert, 12th grade
Teacher: Mrs. Skilliter, High School Algebra 1
What do you appreciate about this teacher: Everything, never giving up on her students and always was positive about everything.
Describe a memory you have with this teacher: Track meets, very encouraging
From: Ashleigh Volbert, 12th grade
Mental Health & Resources
Crisis Number Hotlines
Ohio CareLine: 1-800-720-9616
Crisis Text Line: Text "4hope" to 741741
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE
Youth Crisis Hotline: 1-800-448-4663
The Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386