Captain's News of the Week
Ms. Kennelly's Second Grade Classroom
Week of 3/11/2016
Dates & Reminders
* 3/12- Open House 10:00-1:00
* 3/13- Daylight Savings Time
* 3/14- No School (Professional Development Day)
* 3/16- PAWS Representative Visiting our Classroom
* 3/17- St. Patrick's Day- Wear Green and White
* 3/18- Theo Chocolate Factory Field Trip (No chaperons)
* 3/18- Report cards go home (DATE CHANGE!)
* 3/21- Enrichment Classes Begin
* 3/31- OPT Meeting 6:00-7:00pm
* 4/4-4/8- Spring Break (Camp Offered)
* 4/14- Science and Art Fair @ 5:45pm
* 4/22- Earth Day- Litter-less Lunch
* 4/22- All School Dance with Uniform Sale
* 4/29- PLP's Go Home
Service Learning Project
What did we learn this week?
Social Studies: students began learning about animal welfare and the importance of protecting animals.
Literacy: students focused on building fluency in their reading by working on scooping up words into longer phrases, using dialogue to bring expression into the story, and use context clues to determine the meaning of their story.
Writing: students began their new writing unit, writing about reading. Students wrote opinion letters about their favorite characters, along with important events in the story.
Science: students became experts on the three groups of rocks (Igneous, Metamorphic, Sedimentary) and taught their classmates about their rock group.
What will they learn next week?
Social Studies: students will continue learning about animal welfare and a PAWS representative will visit the students to discuss animal habitats, what is PAWS, and what the students can do to make a difference.
Literacy: students will continue building their fluency and reading with expression to bring the text to life.
Writing: Students will work on their free write stories, developing them by using their storyteller voice to pull the reader in. Students will also continue their work on writing about reading, focusing on using their opinion voice to describe different aspects of their story.
Science: Students will analyze sand, silt, and clay, and determine the different properties they posses through observation and lab work.