By: Kristina Rowe
- I had trouble writing stories at the beginning of the year. I'm not a person who can just come up with a story idea. I have to come up with more than one, then write story plots for all of them, and choose the one I like the most. In the middle of the year, I am doing way better writing stories. I understand what I am suppose to be writing about, and I can come up with more ideas that somewhat relate to my life.
- With word choice, Its still hard for me to choose great words for my stories. I am getting better as the year goes on. Having the words in the stories that we read makes it easier for me, because I have the choice of using those words, and actually know what they mean!
The Most Dangerous Game
This story opens with a conversation between two men, Whitney and Rainsford. The pair are on a yacht headed to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. At the time of the story, they find themselves somewhere in the Caribbean.
I finished the story by Rainsford getting captured by General Zaroff, and Rainsford has to figure out how to escape and kill General Zaroff. This short story was kind of hard to finish, but easy to think of what to write. I had ideas in my head about what to do, but getting the words on the paper, in the order that I wanted, was very difficult. The story didn't have enough details for me to write more at the end.
This story was a little harder to finish. I didn't really know what to do with the end of the short story. I didn't know what to add on, or what to have the two characters say. I wrote down the first thing that came to mind. If I would have thought harder on it, I could have came up with some really cool ideas.
The machine gun stopped. Then the sniper turned over the dead body and looked into his brothers face" - The Sniper
The Sniper is about a sniper in the war, hiding on a roof. He shoots a guy across the street, and of course doesn't know who it is. He wanted to find out though. So he ran to the body, and found out it was his brother. He knew he had to tell his parents sometime, but he didn't know when or how. His mother found out in a painful way, and cried in the bathroom for hours. She wouldn't come out, so her son, left. He went to one of his friends' house for a couple weeks then went back to war. He left a note on the table saying,
"I'm so sorry for what happened. I hope you can forgive me.
I had no idea it was him. I felt so bad after I shot the soldier,
like I knew him or something.
Im going to my friend's house to spend the night.
I don't want to be a bother in this house. Sorry again.
It was easy for me to finish this story because, as we read the end of the story I knew right away was I was going to do, and I was planning out the plot in the story.
- I need to work on getting more ideas for my stories, and better words so they aren't dull.
- I need to work on trying harder on homework, and work harder for getting better grades, and start asking for more help.
What needs changed in the Classroom:
- I don't think anything needs changed in the classroom. I love the way that Coach Ohrt runs everything. I like how she gives us enough time to read our books and write book reports. I like the stories that she has us read. They are very interesting! :)
My Spring goals:
- I'm going to work harder on stories like getting great word choice, and expanding my horizons for writing promps and better ideas.
- I'm going to work harder on homework. I'm going to get help with homework I do not understand.
I am satisfied with my grades. I think I deserve the grades I get. If I work harder on my homework and stories, I will receive better grades.