Catholic School Matters
February 18, 2018
New Catholic Schools, Week 2
Last week, I launched the New Catholic Schools series--15 podcasts in all focusing on new construction and new developments in Catholic Schools. It’s important that we recognize that there are places where Catholic schools are expanding and thriving. Last week’s podcasts included the stories behind St. Michael's HS outside Mobile, St. Eliz Ann Seton HS in South Carolina, St. Michael the Archangel HS in KC, St. Ignatius Elementary outside Boise, and St. Francis Catholic School in beautiful Billings, Montana.
On Monday, I’ll talk to Sara Alkayali, the founding principal and ACE Remick leader of Frassati Catholic Academy in Denver. This is an entirely new Catholic school in its 1st year is growing and Sara has a great story to tell about their adoption of the classical model.
On Tuesday, I’ll talk to both Paul Gagliarducci (Project Manager) and Dr. Paul Harrington (Head of School) for Pope Francis High School in Springfield, Massachusetts. After one Catholic high school in Springfield was destroyed, the decision was made to build an entirely new consolidated high school. It’s a story of overcoming devastation and of consolidation, too. The new school will open this fall and will be the biggest Catholic school construction project in the country.
On Wednesday, I’ll talk to Nick Morgan, the founding principal of Epiphany of Our Lord Catholic School outside of Houston. He’ll share the plans for the school (scheduled to open this fall) and his vision for learning.
On Thursday, I’ll talk to John Rocha, the founding Head of School for Ozark Catholic Academy, scheduled to open its doors this fall in rural Tontitown, Arkansas. The school represents a long-time dream for Northwest Arkansas.
Want to keep up with the conversations surrounding Catholic education? Set up your own Google Alert, subscribe to this newsletter by clicking "follow," subscribe to the Catholic Schools Daily, or subscribe to the Catholic School Matters podcast.
Dr. Tim Uhl
What I'm Up To
The Church Documents podcast series has wrapped up and now I'm presenting a series on new Catholic schools. Here is the landing page for Church Documents resources and the podcasts which can serve as a PLC. Here is the link to the podcast on iTunes. Here are videos showing you how to download and subscribe to a podcast on iTunes and how to download and subscribe a podcast on Android.
This week I'm taking Monday off and then heading to Reno to lead the WCEA Accreditation team for the Bishop Manogue High School re-accreditation:
- Monday: Holiday; Podcast #109: Frassati Catholic Academy (Denver)
- Tuesday: Travel to Reno, begin Bishop Manogue HS visit; Podcast #110: Pope Francis HS (Massachusetts)
- Ash Wednesday: WCEA visit, Day 2; Wed book blog: Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership by Gary L. McIntosh & Samuel D. Rima; Podcast #111: Ephiphany Catholic School (Katy, TX)
- Thursday: WCEA visit, Day 3; Podcast #112: Ozark Catholic Academy (AR)
- Friday: WCEA visit, Day 4; Podcast #113: St. Jeanne de Lestonnac HS (Temecula, CA)
Miles this week: 135 driving miles; 2,002 air miles
Miles travelled in 2017-18: 17,183 road miles; 27,398 air miles
American Catholic News
Catholic School News
- When Catholic schools close and reopen as charters
- Progress report on Holy Cross Academy in South Jersey, hoping to become independent of the Diocese
- Connecticut parents want to keep Catholic school open after Archdiocese announces closure
- Springfield (IL) Catholic school to close
- Albany Catholic school to close grades 1-6
- Arlington (VA) high school breaks ground on new campus
Teaching & Learning
What I'm Reading
- Leadership Without Easy Answers (1994) by Ronald A. Heifetz
- Learning Transformed: 8 Keys to Designing Tomorrow's Schools, Today (2017) by Eric C. Sheninger & Thomas C. Murray
- Glass House: The 1% Economy and the Shattering of the All-American Town (2017) by Brian Alexander
- Transforming School Culture: How to Overcome Staff Division (2017) by Anthony Muhammad
- Everyone Leads: How to Revitalize the Catholic Church (2017) by Chris Lowney
Click this link for a full list of my professional reading along with links to Wed Book Blogs
For Montana Administrators & Teachers
- I would encourage you to engage your students in conversations about the national walkout scheduled for March 14, 2018 to protest gun violence.
- The USCCB and NCEA have come up with a great FAQ for 529 plans. This should be included in parish bulletins!
- Here is the slideshow from the Feb 6th Virtual Meeting. Please read Chapter 8 "Reflection" of Redeeming Administration for the March 6th meeting.
- Here is the budgeting memo for next year with projected costs
Past Issues of Catholic School Matters
February 11, 2018 "New Catholic Schools"
February 4, 2018 "Turnaround Schools, Part 2"
January 28, 2018 "Turnaround Schools"
January 21, 2018 "Synthesizing Church Documents"
January 14, 2018 "What's Brewing in Milwaukee"
January 7, 2018 The 411 on 529's
December 17, 2017 Best of the Fall Issue
December 10, 2017 Serving Hispanic Catholics
December 3, 2017 Building Culture the ND Way
November 12, 2017 "How Are We Building Relationships?"
November 5, 2017 "Journal of Catholic Education"
October 29, 2017 Church Documents
October 22, 2017 Momentum Special Issue
October 15, 2017 "Anthem Protests"
October 8, 2017 Classroom Managment Special Issue
October 1, 2017 "The Un-Themed Issue"
September 24, 2017 "Joy of the Gospel"
September 17, 2017 "ESSA"
September 10, 2017 "On Leadership"
August 27, 2017 "American Catholic News"
August 20, 2017 Back to School Issue