November 11, 2022
Information in this Update:
- 2023 State Testing Information- Opting Out - Due December 4th
- 2022 Oregon Health Authority Student Health Survey
- Counseling Update: Seniors - Make sure to order hats and gowns
- HROA Staff Highlight - Carly Borton
- Families First - Recipe of the Month
- Middle School Enrichment
- HROA Community Enrichment - Swim Lessons Start January 2023
- Resources (check out the yellow buttons near the bottom of the page)
November17: School Picture Retakes 2:00-3:30pm at HROA Building
November 23 - 25: No School - Thanksgiving Holiday Observed
December 2: End of Trimester 1
December 5: No School - Trimester 1 Report Cards Mailed December 7
STATE TESTING 2023 INFORMATION
Districts and public charter schools must provide parents with the ODE-developed annual notice at the beginning of each school year. School districts and public charter schools must use the 30-day notice and opt-out form provided by ODE to communicate with all parents about state testing requirements and their right to opt-out for high school students by December 4, 2022 and for students in Grades 3-8 by February 4, 2023.
Forms for opting out of the state testing:
2022 Student Health Survey
Survey information will be going out to students & families the week of 11/14
About the Student Health Survey
Oregon's Student Health Survey (SHS) is a collaborative effort with the Oregon Department of Education to improve the health and well-being of all Oregon students to help them succeed. The SHS is a comprehensive, school-based, anonymous and voluntary health survey of 6th, 8th and 11th graders. It is a key part of statewide efforts to help local schools and communities ensure that all Oregon youth are healthy and successful learners.
The SHS is designed to address:
- Student health and safety
- Student mental and behavioral health
- School climate and culture
- The impact of COVID-19
If your homeschool is Hood River Middle use this link https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/7031495/HoodRiverCountySD-HoodRiverMiddleSchool-361-6thEQ
If your homeschool is Wy'east Middle use this link https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/7031495/HoodRiverCountySD-WyEastMiddleSchool-367-6thEQ
If your homeschool is Hood River Middle use this link https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/7030657/HoodRiverCountySD-HoodRiverMiddleSchool-361-8thEQ
If your home school is Wy'east Middle use this link https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/7030657/HoodRiverCountySD-WyEastMiddleSchool-367-8thEQ
HROA Counseling Updates
Amanda Phillips, High School Counselor
Seniors - Time to Order Graduation Caps & Gown
HROA Staff Highlight
Carly Borton, High School Math Teacher
When students enter HROA, we often share with them that math is often one of the hardest subjects to learn independently and the best thing to plan for is coming in for help or schedule a google meet with our wonderful math teacher, Carly Borton. Ms. Borton joined HROA in 2020 and has worked tirelessly to improve and refine HROA's math courses. Despite being a busy mother of four young children, Carly always tries to find time to help students. Her main goal is that students learn the math, not just pass the test. Carly is also very adept at supporting students using a variety of digital tools, which has been a truly wonderful addition to HROA's capacity to support students. Thank you Ms. Borton for everything you've done to make HROA's math classes better each year!
Cheesecake ice tray popsicles/Helados de pastel de queso
8oz. Package of cream cheese softened/8 onzas de queso de crema ablandado
- Fruit of your choice/Fruta de tu elección
- Plain Greek yogurt/Yogur griego natural
- Ice tray/ Bandeja de hielo
Mix cream cheese until smooth and creamy
Add ½ cup yogurt, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons honey and mix until well blended and creamy, set aside for later
Crumble 5-7 graham crackers and add 2 tablespoons of melted butter mix well
Press graham cracker crumbs into an ice tray about ¼ full, next fill with the yogurt mix, leaving a little room for fruit and nut topping of choice.
Put in the popsicle sticks and freeze overnight or until firm, and enjoy!
1. Mezcle el crema de queso hasta que quede suave
2. Agregue ½ taza de yogur, 1 cucharadita de vainilla, 1 cucharadita de jugo de limón, 2 cucharadas de miel, y mezcle hasta que esté bien mezclado y cremoso, reserve para más tarde
3. Desmenuce 5-7 galletas integrales y agregue 2 cucharadas de mantequilla derretida y mezcla bien
4. Presione las migas de la galleta en una bandeja de hielo hasta aproximadamente ¼ de su capacidad. Luego llénala con la mezcla de yogur, dejando un poco de espacio para la cobertura de fruta y nueces.
5. Coloque los palitos de paleta y congele durante la noche o hasta que estén firmes, y disfrute!
Middle School Enrichment
FRIDAYS 12:30 - 2:30pm
Ceramics and Clay Art
Where: The HROA building
November 18th & December 2nd and 9th
Times for different Grade Levels
- Kindergarten-3rd Grade 11:30-12:30
- 4th-7th Grade 12:30-1:30
- 8th- 12th grade 1:30-2:30
Learn to build with coils. Learn to attach two pieces of clay with score and slip
Create a trivet.
Advanced students will learn Puebla decorative techniques.
December 2nd & 9th
Build clay sculptures using slabs.
Beginner students will create a leaf pressing.
More advanced students will create an expressive mask.
Glaze your creations!
Pick up your glazed and fired projects the following week on Dec 15th or 16th
Swim Lessons! 1/06, 1/13, 1/20, & 1/27
Learn to swim or improve your swimming skills!
Groups will be formed based on your ability level.
Classes taught by Hood River Valley Park and Recreation Swim Instructors
When: January 6th, 13, 20, 27
Where: Hood River Pool
1610 May Street.
Different times for different age groups
K-3rd graders- | 1:00pm - 1:30pm
4-7th graders | 1:30pm - 2pm
8-12th graders | 2:00pm - 2:30pm
Waiting for a sibling who is in a lesson?
We will have an art activity set up in the party room.
HROA Building Hours
Monday - Thursday: 8:00am - 4:00pm
Friday: 8:00am - 3:00pm