Elmdale Early Years School
2015-2016 Community Report
- Balance Literacy Program: Including Daily 5 instruction and Guided Reading
- Reading Recovery Program: Support Grade 1 literacy
- Home Reading Program
Positive Behaviour Program
- Bucket Filling School
- PrinciPal Awards
- Grandpartner Program
- School Assemblies
- Guided Math
Music and Physical Education Programs
- Christmas Choir Concert
- Skating Instruction
- Water Safety Instruction
Achievements of 2015-2016
· 75% of all Elmdale students are at or above grade level in reading.
· 89% of students met their home reading goal in at least 7 out of 8 months.
· 44 students participated in an Elmdale Summer Home Reading program.
· 10 students having difficulty completing home reading took part in a reading program with educational assistants before school every morning.
· 100% of students and 87% of families attended the Family Celebration of Reading, Writing and Art in February.
· Most teachers had a session with Kim Koop regarding Assessment in Math.
· Most teachers used some form of Guided Math in their classrooms this year for a period of time.
· Over half of grade 3 and 4 students participated in the year round intramural program.
· Students learned about the importance of fresh fruit and vegetables in their lunches during nutrition month in March.
· Many students took the opportunity to use the gym for running activities before school on “cold” mornings throughout the year.
· Placed 30 new student laptops into classrooms and the library which were used by students for guided math, literacy centers and general learning.
· Provided students access to educational online outcomes based age appropriate websites by maintaining a Symbaloo site.
· Completed a new initiative to install interactive projectors into all kindergarten classrooms where they are used daily by students.
· 10 families took advantage of Parenting Support Groups offered by the school’s Social Worker. Students in these families received more Green Slips (positive behavior slips).
· 75% of Elmdale students participated in the Elmdale Garden project.
· 92% of Elmdale students have better than 85% attendance.