Hillcrest Elementary School
Week of January 14, 2024
What's Up Next?
Good Day HES Family & Friends!
I hope each of you have taken time to remember the purpose of this day that we are celebrating and have had an opportunity to serve someone other than yourself. If not, you still have time to volunteer and be of service to our community. We must continue the dream and believe that it will come to reality - equality for all people.
As we begin this week, let me thank each of you that supported us last week at our Academic Parent Teacher Team meetings (APTT) and Parent Portal Sessions. If you have not had a chance to use your Parent Portal or need assistance in how to log in to monitor your child's grades and attendance, please reach out to the school. Congratulations also to our school Spelling Bee Winners - Lyrikal Parks, Kashmir Lee, Torrance Pullen, Laci Atkins! The Top Four students will be moving on to our District Spelling Bee later this month. This Friday, we will be celebrating the 100th Day of School. I hope you and your child are working on a creative way to share in our celebration.
Lastly, please be reminded that school starts at 8:15 a.m. Please make every effort to have your child arrive on time to school daily. Also, if your child is absent for any reason, please be sure to submit a doctor's excuse or parent written excuse the day your child returns back to school. We thank you for your continued support of our students and school.
Habit of the Week: Habit #5 – Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
It's better to listen first and talk second. We all have been given two ears and one mouth, which indicates that we should be listening twice as much as we talk. We should be willing to listen sincerely to others when they are talking. This will help build better communication among individuals.
Family Activity: Try sitting as a family with some conversation starter cards and allow each person an opportunity to respond for 5 minutes without interrupting them. Once they have finished speaking, the next person can respond back to them. Good Luck listening first and then speaking!
Habit #5: Listen before you speak!
A Reveiw of Last Weeks' Activities: Photo Gallery
Dress Code Reminders
- Sweatshirts and hoodies may be worn to school, but hoods cannot be worn inside of school/classroom.
- Shirts must be solid in color.
- Leggings cannot be worn as "stand alone." They can be worn under a solid colored skirt/shorts.
- Jeans/Pants may not have any rips, holes, tears, or frays.
- Shoes must have a strap on the back of them. No Crocs allowed at school.
Please help us by making sure your child is appropriately dressed before coming to school each day.
Morning Drop Off & Afternoon Pick Up Reminders
- There will be one (1) lane used for morning drop off.
- There will be two (2) lanes used for afternoon dismissal.
- Cars MUST have their car tag number in the window to pick up your child. Cars without a tag will have to drive to the front of the building and wait for your child to be released at 3:30 p.m. with remaining car riders.
- Vehicles must make a right-hand turn off of Edgewood Drive into the Car Rider Line Up near the playground entrance.
- Parents/Guardians may take any of the following routes to reach our car rider line: Cardinal Drive, Northwood Drive, Brookdale Drive, Greenway Drive, and Pinewood Drive from either Claxton Dairy Road or Highway 441 South to get to Edgewood Drive.
- Parents/Guardians MUST remain in cars to pick up car riders. No child will be released to adults who walk up to the building in the Car Rider Loading Zone.
- Please wait for staff member to signal for you to pull off.
- Parents/Guardians may not park along Edgewood Drive and walk up to the front of the building to pick up students while we are loading or unloading buses (7:30 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. and 2:45 p.m. – 3:25 p.m.)
- Students not picked up by 3:25 p.m. from the car rider pick up area will be taken to the front office for pick up after this time.
Clear or Mesh Book Bags Required
All students must have a clear or mesh book bag to enter the school building. We do have a few clear book bags left for sale in the front office, if you need to purchase one, for $10 each.
Coming Up Next...
January 19: 100th Day of School Celebration/Recognition and Club Day
January 26: DCS's District Spelling Bee
January 29: Local School Governance Team Meeting, 5:00 p.m.
January 30: DCS's Elementary Science Fair
Location: 1100 Edgewood Drive, Dublin, GA, USA
Phone: (478) 353-8200