Grade 2 News
Newsletter #1: How we Organize Ourselves
UOI-1 How we Organize Ourselves
How we organize Ourselves
An inquiry into the interconnectedness of human-made systems and communities; the structure and function of organizations; societal decision-making; economic activities and their impact on humankind and the environment.
We make economic choices to meet our needs and wants
Lines of Inquiry
- (Connection) How technology influences the economy
- (Causation) Producers and Consumers
- (Responsibility) Responsible economic decision making
What Are We Learning This Unit?
Grand Opening for our store!
Ibraheem (the seller) works with Amirah and Safa to sell goods and write receipts.
The Veterinarian and Custodian work hard at their job today!
Students worked together to come up with Essential Agreements for our class
In math Students are learning about the manipulatives and routines that we will be using in Math throughout the year. Students have learned about Math By myself and Math with a Partner. Students practiced new learning activities that will help them become more independent in math as well as build fluency and practice their math skills. Student have also began to work on Module one which is our first Unit in math. This unit covers adding and subtracting using different methods up to 20. However this is a very short module and we will soon be working in module 2 as well.
For this unit we will be covering:
- How to identifying a numbers value using place value
- Comparing and ordering numbers using place value
- Adding/ subtracting using place value
- Measuring length
- Estimating measurements
- Using correct measuring units
- Finding the difference of two measured objects
English Language Arts
In ELA students are establishing routines for independence through Daily Five. In this format of learning students independently practice skills that they have learned in small groups that are targeted to their individual needs as readers, writers, and language learners. So far we have introduced Read to self and work on writing. We will keep practicing these two tasks until the students are independently able to move around the classroom completing assignments and tasks in both.
The skills we will cover this unit are:
- Asking and answering such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how when reading to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
- Producing complete sentences orally and clearly portray their meanings to others
- Students will work on identifying and describe text features and the use of text features in different types of books.
- Editing our writing to ensure that we have capitals, periods, and complete sentences in our work.
- Students will begin their word groups this unit using second grade sight words that they will be required to read, spell, and use in a sentence.
Also I have sent home scholastic book fair catalogs and will be sending them regularly. There are many great books in these catalogs and I encourage families to look through them and see if there are any books that you would like to add to your own child's library. There are even books for only $1 in each issue! For every dollar you spend I will be earning points to put towards earning books for my classroom library! Orders are due on September 29th if you are interested! I know that when books come in students get super excited!
Science & Social Studies
In Science students will be working on identifying defining and inventing technology. Students will understand:
- What technology is.
- How technology is used.
- How to ask questions and design a solution to a problem.
In Social Studies students will:
- Explore the definition of Economy
- Explain and classify their economic choices and the outcomes of those choices
- Explore technology in the markets and economy
- Define and role play the roles of consumers and producers
- Investigate different types of markets both locally and around the world.
Arabic, Quran, Islamic Studies
- The Arabic Alphabets and how we connect the letters together.
- The short and long vowels ( ).الحركات والمدود
- Memorize Surat Al_Mutaffifiin.
- Surat Al_Mulk
- Write Surat Al_Mutaffifiin in the journal and recognize the the short & long vowels.
- The general meaning of Surat Al_Mutaffifiin.
Here is the link of the Surah that we memorized, it will be helpful if they listen it to review:
- Wudoo makes me clean: steps of wudoo and how to perform it.
- Recognize the names, timings, and the number of Raka'at of the five daily Fard prayers.
- Here is the link of wudoo, it will be helpful if they listen it to review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szJpcIY25wg
· What is Charity? Students give charity throughout the unit from their class “earnings”. They learn the Hadith that no money was decreased by giving charity مانقص مال من صدقة.
· Ethics of trading in the sooq Story of (عبدالرحمن بن عوف)
· Memorize Dua’a of Market
• Marketplace: How do I ask for things I want and pay for them?
• Recognize the ordinal numbers from 1st to 5th.
• Recognize the Sun and Moon letters (اللام الشمسية واللام القمرية)
• Recognize & write the vocab of the market & numbers نقود، كم، أريد، هل عندك، بكم، ريالا، غالي، سوق، الأول ، الثاني ، الثالث، الرابع ، الخامس
Be introduced to the elements and principles of Art and focus on the elements of Line, Color, and Space and the principles of repetition, variety, and unity.
Learn weaving techniquescreate a yarn woven wall piece - Tissage.
Be introduced to oil pastels techniques.
Targeted MSDE Standards
- Students will demonstrate the ability to organize knowledge and ideas for expression in the production of art.
- Investigate a variety of ways that artists develop ideas and organize the elements of art in response to what they see, know, and feel
- Identify sources for ideas and procedures used to create artworks
- Identify color, line, shape, texture, form, space, and selected principles of design, such as pattern, repetition, and contrast in artworks that convey what they see, know, and feel
- learn the importance of being physically active on a daily basis and how we can make fitness fun.
- work on implementing this month's Learner Profile Attribute of being "PRINCIPLED", especially when playing competitive games.
- enroll in the "Tarbiyah Fitness Club" as part of their unit on Economics. They will use money they earn from their jobs in class to purchase their gym membership
Here are some things to look forward to!
- Map Testing Starts 9/18/17
- PD day- No school for students 9/22/17
- ECA's start on 9/25/17
- Back to school Barbecue 9/15/17
- Family Night 10/8/17
- Spelling Bee pledge forms sent home10/23/17
- Neighbor basket Collections begin 10/30/17