This strange thing must have crept
Right out of hell.
It resembles a bird’s foot
Worn around the cannibal’s neck.
As you hold it in your hand,
As you stab with it into a piece of meat,
It is possible to imagine the rest of the bird:
Its head which like your fist
Is large, bald, beakless, and blind.
- Did not speak English until he was 15, came to the US at 16
- " .... "
- Himself & family spent time in refugee camps and prisons, finally able to leave to Paris in 1953. A year later came to America.
- First poems published when he was 21 (1959)
- He has published more than 60 books (many of poetry)
- His poetry is surprising containing ironic humor