State Government Project
By: Ashley Williams
Who is your Local State Representative?
• Graduate of University of Texas (B.S. Civil Engineering)
• Current State Representative for District 115
• Lifelong Republican; Three-time Republican State Convention Delegate
• Supporter of Republican Party activities
• Avid Outdoorsman, marathoner, and NRA Member (“A” rated)
• Married for 30 years to Beccy Bennett
• Has 3 grown children
• 22 year homeowner in Coppell
• Attends Irving Bible Church
• Small Business Owner of a Local Civil Engineering Firm, Ratliff Group, LLC
• Named as 2013 Distinguished Engineer by the Texas Engineering Foundation of the Texas Society of Professional Engineers
• Elected Republican State Representative in November 2012; Sworn into office in January 2013
• Currently serves on Texas House Appropriations and Public Education Committees
• Cited for outstanding Texas House Freshmen legislative leadership by Republican Texas Comptroller Susan Combs, Capitol Inside, and Texas Monthly Magazine
• Named one of the “Best of Dallas-Area’s Freshman Class in Texas House” by the Dallas Morning News
• Former 9-year member of the Coppell ISD School Board
• Former School Board Vice-President
• Active Sponsor of local High School Solar Car Team and Engineering Academy
• Active volunteer for youth disabilities groups: Special Olympics, Challenger Baseball, and Ironman for Angels.
What District is your Local State Representative located in?
How many students attend Coppell ISD?
What percentage of the population in this district is between the ages of 18-64?
What percentage of the district attained a college education? How does that compare to the rest of the state?
Difference of 23.4%
What occupation in is the most worked in the district? How does that compare to the rest of the state?
State: Educational services and health care and social assistance 21.2%
What Agency do you want to work for?
Texas Dept. of Housing and Community Affairs
What is the Agency’s mission statement?
and Quality Customer Service to the Agency and the People of Texas.”
What is the main function of the Agency?
The Manufactured Housing Division of TDHCA regulates the manufactured housing industry in Texas.
The Committee’s primary function is to assist the Board in carrying out its oversight
responsibilities as they relate to financial and other reporting practices, internal control, and compliance with Board and ethics policies, and to ensure the independence of the internal audit function.
How does the Agency impact the residents of Texas?
- Provides Affordable Housing
- Provides Home Repair
- Prevention of Homelessness and Poverty along with Financial Aid/Help
Recent News Article: State housing agency allocates $60.1 million in tax credits; financing tool to create 5,400 units of affordable housing
TDHCA was awarded $60.1 million in tax credits to provide rehabilitation and/or construction to 5,400 rental units. This increases housing options for individuals and families earning no more than 60 percent of the area median family income. These actions are taking place upon 65 rental properties across the state offering units with reduced rents. The goal for this is to provide those who are impoverished with things that might be unavailable to them.