Mercury is a threat to your health and is found in water.
Source of the Mercury contamination...
- Elemental Mercury found in water normally enters the environment through industrial processes, agricultural processes, household, commercial and medical products containing mercury, sewage discharge and sediment.
- Inorganic mercury is the most common form that is present in drinking water but is not considered harmful.
- Organic mercury (Methyl Mercury) is produced by specific bacterial organisms in surface waters that convert inorganic mercury into organic mercury (which is harmful). The Organic Mercury is also ingested by the fish and bioaccumulates both in the tissues of fish and the humans that eat these fish.
Dangers of Organic Mercury
- Nervous disorders.
- Growing evidence it causes cancer.
- Kidney damage.
- Respiratory failure.
- "High levels of methylmercury in the bloodstream of unborn babies and young children may harm the developing nervous system, making the child less able to think and learn."
Symptoms of Organic Mercury Poisoning...
- Peripheral vision impairment
- Stinging or needle like sensations in the extremities and mouth
- Loss of coordination
- Muscle weakness
- Other impairments of speech and hearing
How to prevent exposure...
- The EPA passed the Safe Drinking Water Act in 1974, and it set guidelines on contaminants found in drinking water. Mercury was not included in this act until 1992. The Maximum Contaminant Level Goal and the Maximum Contaminant Level were set at 2 parts per billion because public water suppliers can remove this amount of Mercury from the water.
- There are also several methods of removing mercury from drinking water. (They include the following: Coagulation/Filtration, Granular Activated Carbon, Lime softening and Reverse osmosis.) These remove the Mercury and make it safe to drink.