Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - January 28, 2022
In this Newsletter …
A Letter from Your Principal
Buckaroo Bash - January 29
Parent/Teacher Conference Info
Band Fundraiser - January 30
Kudos and Celebrations
BVN Bell Schedules
Mark Your Calendar
- New Winter Activity Guide
Special Needs Resource Fair
Girls State and Boys State
Durham Bus Information
A Letter from Your Principal
Hello Mustang Community,
The Buckaroo Bash, the largest parent fundraiser of the year, is tomorrow night. Please consider joining the Mustang Club at the Ironhorse Golf Course to support your students. This adult event allows you to come and go as your schedule allows, around the Sweetheart festivities. Event details, a link to purchase tickets and a list of auction items are in this newsletter. Thank you for supporting your students’ activities at Blue Valley North!
On Friday, January 14th, 10th and 11th grade students received information regarding enrollment for the 2022-23 school year. Current 8th and 9th graders will receive this same information on January 19-21. All resources and materials necessary to complete '22-'23 enrollment may be accessed on this Canvas course: BVN Enrollment Course .
Current Juniors should submit their enrollment form by January 24th, and Sophomores by January 31st. Following these due dates, counselors have established dates for individual appointments with all students to review their submitted form.
As always, thank you for your continued partnership for your students’ education. Have a great weekend and GO CHIEFS!!!
LAST CHANCE! Buckaroo Bash is THIS Saturday, 1/29 (new)
Join the Mustang Club at Ironhorse Golf Course to support YOUR students. This fun-filled adult event is our biggest fundraiser of the year! Come and go as your schedule allows around the Sweetheart festivities. We have some amazing items available (see below) as well as dinner, drinks and live entertainment from some of our very own BVN family, OverServed.
Tickets can be purchased here AND at the door.
Registration and drinks begin at 6:30 p.m. and dinner and the auctions open at 7:00 p.m.
Some exciting items up for grabs include:
- Soccer Fan Experience including 4 Sporting KC tickets with parking
- Baseball Fan’s Dream including 4 Royals tickets with parking, signed Andrew Benintendi jersey and signed Whit Merrifield baseball
- Dining Gift Card Basket
- Staycation - 2 night hotel stay, breakfast, dinner, spa
- Everything you need to kick off a fun summer including a $200 Visa Gift Card
- Tennis Lessons
- Golfer’s Delight Basket with rounds at top courses
- Signed Sports Memorabilia
- Concert Season Pass at Stone Pillar Winery
- Blanton’s Bourbon Basket from a local expert’s collection
- Coveted Reserved Parking Spot
Please join us for a fun evening while supporting your students' activities!
Parent/Teacher Conferences (new)
Conferences will be held the week beginning Monday, February 14. Teachers will be available at varying times to meet with families. The teachers look forward to speaking with as many parents as possible. Given the virtual nature of these conferences and the time available, we encourage you to talk to your child, check grades on Canvas, and decide if a Parent-Teacher conference is necessary. If you and your child are happy with how things are going with your student’s progress in class, a conference is not necessary. Feel free to drop the teacher an email with any extra questions that you might have.
Attending your Conferences
The Zoom link and password can be found in your email confirmation. Please do not share. When you arrive to the conference, you will be in a Zoom waiting room until the teacher finishes with the previous parent. Please try to be a minute or so early as our clocks vary and teachers will need to stay on schedule.
The teachers look forward to the opportunity to visit with you in our “virtual” conference setting.
Band Fundraiser - January 30, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (new)
Kudos and Celebrations
Bowling Team (new)
On January 20, the Boys Varsity Team came in second with Austin Rakkaew taking 2nd overall 503 series. The Boys' JV Team finished 3rd. Cam Silva was 4th overall 384 series. The January 21st meet finished with both Boys' Teams in 2nd place. Megan Meyer was 1st place overall 471 series, and Justyna Hayslett was 5th place 367 series. Mustang Proud!
Boys' Swimming and Diving Team (new)
Congratulations to the BVN Boys' Swimming and Diving Team for a strong week filled with first place finishes and state qualifications. The Mustangs beat Shawnee Mission East in a close matchup on Jan. 19 and placed second in the highly competitive Shawnee Mission Invitational on Jan. 22. The following athletes won their events at the 21-team meet:
SM Invitational 1st Place Finishes
Spencer Eyen - Dive
Sam Peterson - 200 Free/500 Free
Sam Peterson, Alex Houts, AK Klaus, Michael Mayo - 400M Free Relay
Congratulations to following swimmers for qualifying or achieving State consideration.
New State Qualifications
AK Klaus - 200 Free/100 Free/50 Free
Max Masilionis - 100 Fly
Klein McGraw - 100 Breast
New State Considerations
Ben Ding - 200 Free
Eli Raiford - 50 Free
Caleb Twyman - 100 Back
Ryan Parisi - 200 Free
Tate Wichman - 50 Free
Counseling, Academics & Testing (updates)
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage for information about:
- Enrollment for 2022-23 is underway. Information has been distributed to students and emailed to parents and guardians. Questions may be directed to your student’s counselor. If your incoming Freshman is not a current Blue Valley 8th grade student, please contact Sarah King, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The schedule change period for this semester has ended. Only level changes and drops to a study hall are now allowed. Students may pick up a schedule change form in Student Services to request these changes.
- Senior parents must submit the Diploma and Transcript Authorization Form before the school is able to send transcripts to colleges for your student.
- Junior College Planning Information here - College and Career Planning
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room
- Visit the Counseling Home Page to find additional resources or contact information for Counselors and other Student Services staff.
Questions? Contact Sarah King @ (913)239-3016 or SKing@bluevalleyk12.org .
2022-2023 Enrollment Important Dates
How to Have a Mental Health Check-In with Your Teen
BVN Bell Schedules ~ North Time cancelled on Fridays
When there are five days in the school week, the Bell Schedule will be Odd, Even, Odd, Even, Traditional Day. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, school begins at 7:40 a.m. On Tuesday and Thursday, school begins at 8:25 a.m. (see below). If you want a copy for home, ask your student to stop by the BVN main office. It's also posted on the BVN website. When there are schedule changes due to a shortened school week, during finals, etc., it will be announced in North Notes and listed on the EKL calendar, BVN’s school calendar.
Update: On Tuesday & Thursday, North Time is now called Academic Support Time (AST).
Here is a link to the Bell Schedule which is on the BVN website: BVNBELLSCHEDULE .
Mark Your Calendar
January 29: Sweetheart Dance, 8:00-10:00 p.m. at BVN
January 29: The Mustang Club Buckaroo Bash Fundraiser, 6:30-11:00 p.m.
February 14-17: Parent-Teacher Conferences
February 18: NO SCHOOL/due to after school conferences
February 21: NO SCHOOL/Presidents' Day
March 1: ACT Testing for Juniors/NO SCHOOL for 9th, 10th and 12th
March 11: NO SCHOOL/Professional Learning
March 14-18: NO SCHOOL/Spring Break
March 21: NO SCHOOL/Professional Learning
Upcoming All School Events
All BVN events, activities, sporting events and additional calendar adjustments are found on the EKL calendar: www.easternkansasleague.org
BVN Athletics & Athletic Hall of Fame
BVN Athletic Hall of Fame Nominations Needed
The Blue Valley North Athletic Hall of Fame was established in an effort to recognize individual(s) who have significantly contributed to the traditions and reputation of the athletic programs at Blue Valley North High School. Individuals recognized will have exemplified the character and ideals promoted by Blue Valley North through the use of their talents, time, dedication and energy. The establishment of this Hall of Fame will hopefully encourage others to follow their example.
Blue Valley North High School will be accepting nominations for the Athletic Hall of Fame through Friday, Feb. 11, 2022. You, as a community member, are entitled to nominate a former BVN athlete you feel is deserving of this honor.
The guidelines for selection are as follows:
- The candidate distinguished him/herself by outstanding achievement in a sport.
- The candidate displayed good citizenship, sportsmanship and leadership.
- Candidates should have attended BVN at least their junior and senior years.
- Candidates should have graduated between 2007 - 2017.
- Parents and other relatives may not submit nominations.
Please click on this link, print the form and complete it, BVN Athletic Hall of Fame Nomination Form , and return to Kelli Kurle at email@example.com. If you have any questions, please call 239-3011. Thank you!
Track and Field Team
BVN Track and Field pre-season workouts will take place after the new year at BVN. Please look over the PowerPoint for training info CLICK HERE. The workouts are 100% optional but will be beneficial for the upcoming season.
Please sign up for the Spond App. Anyone can join this group for track and field info by using the link https://group.spond.com/UGXMK
Any questions, students should see Coach Fancher, after school, in Mobile 1.
Girls' Softball is a spring sport, and pre-season conditioning has begun. The schedule is Tuesday & Thursday at 7:00 a.m., and Wednesdays at 6:45 a.m.! Please reach out to Coach Stevie if you have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you have questions, contact Teresa Anderson, BVN Assistant to the Athletic Director, at 913-239-3011 or by email, email@example.com .
Please take a look through the BVN Mustang Club's Winter Activity Guide! Here is a link to the on-line edition: https://anyflip.com/qzkqi/xqsn/
This is a great way to see photos of the athletic teams, activities & performing arts students, find out more about their coaches and directors, and read a greeting from the BVN Principal & the Mustang Club Presidents. Please take time to see the advertisements from our corporate partners and give them your business whenever possible. We thank them for their support of the Mustang Club and our Blue Valley North students. Enjoy!
Special Needs Resource Fair - February 10 (new)
Fostering A Safe School Environment
Blue Valley Schools is committed to promoting and fostering a safe environment in and around all of our schools. Through the convergence of physical and intellectual security measures, we are continuously working to prevent, mitigate, respond to and recover from a wide range of emergencies. Please check out available ways to report safety concerns.
Are you moving? Have you moved?
Please contact the BVN Registrar, Suzy Doherty, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Boys Team Charity (new)
Senior Information for the Class of 2022
Save the date for 2022 Graduation: Sunday, May 22, at 7 p.m. at the District Activity Center, 13310 Switzer, Overland Park, Kansas 66213. Rain date is Wednesday, May 25 at 6 p.m. There are no tickets required and there is no limit on seating.
Senior Info page: Click HERE to access:
INFO about ordering a senior wall tile to commemorate your student’s time at Blue Valley North! Orders will be accepted through January 31st on the Mustang Club website or through this link [https://bvnpbc.membershiptoolkit.com/packet/27490]. The cost is $37. We hope you will help us continue this fun Mustang tradition!
- Info about ordering your cap & gown--Seniors can check the list at Mrs. Miller's desk to confirm if they have/have not ordered yet.
- Info about the Senior Class Picture to be taken on February 22. Check the schedule on the Senior Info page.
- A link to authorize the release of your student's transcript for college applications
- Info about the Balfour shipping schedule
Seniors: Check out these BVEF scholarship opportunities available only to BV students
Deadline: February 11
- The Tom Leathers Communications Scholarship – given to a senior planning to major in journalism or communications
- Dave and Megan Leathers Basketball Scholarship – given to a senior female participating in basketball
- Kerry Layton Memorial Scholarship – given to a senior participating in Band
- Dr. Anise Burki Memorial Scholarship – given to a senior female demonstrating core BV values and academic excellence
- Bill Davis Memorial Scholarship – given to a senior who participated in at least 2 semesters of Debate, Forensics, Drama or Philosophy
We will update this info page as decisions are made in the new few months.
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ email@example.com .
BOYS STATE 2022 JUNE 5-11! “Boys State is a practical opportunity to learn leadership skills through role play civic exercise.” Applications are available for high school sophomores and juniors to attend Boys State 2022. You can find more information at https://ksbstate.org/. Boys State will take place on the Kansas State University campus. If cost is an issue, please contact the KS Boys State Main Office (see FAQs). Questions? Contact Catie Bosch, firstname.lastname@example.org .
COVID Close Contact Options updated (new)
Is Your Child Sick? Please read on....
Winter, colds, flu, and other viruses often come together. Germs from colds and other illnesses make their way into our workplaces, schools, and homes. If you have a child who is sick, we ask for your support by keeping them at home. District protocol requires students stay home until they are fever free for a period of 24 hours and or at least 24 hours since symptom resolution. If your child has been diagnosed by a physician with Influenza, please keep them home for five days following onset of illness or for the duration of illness if the case is immune compromised.
As you know, the health of our students is important to us. Thank you for your continued partnership as we work together to keep our kids healthy and in school.
School Nurse Information and Clinic Hours
The Nurse's office is open M – F: 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. It closes for lunch 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. except in the case of an emergency. Nurse Amanda Collichio is available to assist students with their health needs, first-aid and medical conditions. For help, contact Nurse Amanda at (913) 239-3013 or AJCollichio@bluevalleyk12.org .
Prescription Meds at BVN - Action Needed
This is reminder to parents: All prescription medications must be accompanied by this written authorization from a physician or other person licensed to prescribe medications, for the administration of that medication at school. All prescription medications to be administered at school must be in their original containers with the label intact. Students shouldn’t be self-carrying unlabeled prescription medications or any prescription medications. Questions? Email Nurse Amanda Collichio at email@example.com.
JOCO COVID-19 Updates
Please follow this link to the Johnson County COVID-19 website for current information.
COVID-19 Testing and Resources for BV Staff, Students and Families
Throughout this school year, Blue Valley’s priorities have been the safety of our students and keeping students in school and in person as we know this is critical to their long-term success and well-being. MAWD Labs is offering a local COVID-19 testing option that is available for students, staff and their family members. This option is available through a Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) grant provided directly to MAWD Labs.
Online scheduling and registration now available for COVID-19 Testing
Throughout this school year, Blue Valley’s priorities have been the safety of our students and keeping students in school and in-person as we know this is critical to their long-term success and well-being. MAWD Labs offers a local COVID-19 testing option available through a Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) grant provided directly to MAWD Labs.
New! Online Scheduling and Registration for MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic
The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic now can accept online appointments and registrations.
- Step 1: Book an appointment online (up to 6 people per appointment/car)
- Step 2: If you have not done so already, create an online account for parent/guardian. Please note that to login into the account in the future, username is the parent/guardian email address.
- Complete a form for the child needing COVID-19 testing and submit. Create forms for additional household members by clicking “Add Individual.”
- Receive a QR code via email for each family member needing testing. Keep this code as it will need to be shown upon arrival for each appointment.
- Call (913) 239-4371 and leave a message if you have questions. Calls will be returned in the order received.
- Due to the high volume of testing, only current household members of Blue Valley students and staff are eligible to test at the MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic.
MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic: 14950 Newton Drive, Overland Park, KS 66223 (Northwest of CAPS on the Blue Valley School District Campus)
- Hours of Operation
- Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Friday 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Sunday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Inclement Weather Schedule
- The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is cancelled for inclement weather.
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will operate on regular hours if there is an emergency closing for other reasons, such as high staff or transportation absences.
Additional information about MAWD’s Drive-In Testing Clinic is available on the district website. General COVID-19 resources from Johnson County Department of Health and Environment, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy can be found on the district website.
Blue Valley families can find a variety of COVID-19 resources on the district website including general COVID-19 information, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy.
Durham Bus Riders
Durham will continue to transport our bus riders in the 2021-22 school year. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492. The best time to call is between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. when more staff are available to answer questions.
Durham Bus Services has three helpful tools for families with bus riders. Registration is required each year for families as bus routes and participants change:
- Bus Tracker: The Blue Valley Durham location will be using the Bus Tracker mobile app that is available for iOS and Android devices. To use the app, users will create an account that is tied to an email address of the user’s choice. The tool will allow account users to follow the route of a specific bus. Durham is updating daily when a scheduled backup bus is being used for a planned maintenance activity. If a bus is replaced with a quick turnaround due to an unforeseen event, Durham dispatch will make the switch on Bus Tracker at their next opportunity to update the app.
- Text Messaging: Families are still encouraged to sign up for Durham Text Messaging. The system is designed to share the “why” as Bus Tracker is designed to tell the “where”. To sign up for Durham Text Messaging visit www.bluevalleydurham.com.
- E-Link: Allows for verification of a student’s transportation information (i.e., stop location, bus # and pick-up and drop off times) based on the input of grade and home address. To access E-Link, go to www.bluevalleydurham.com.
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is published most Fridays during the school year. North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org .
BVN Main Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday - Friday