BAMS Staff Newsletter
April 6th, 2014 - Volume 1, Issue 25
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO
By the end of the 2013-2014 school year, each grade level will increase the Mean Reading RIT score on the MAP Reading Assessment.
- 6th Grade - Mean Reading RIT score will increase by 9 points (Fall 205.5 - Spring above 214.5)
- 7th Grade - Mean Reading RIT score will increase by 7 points (Fall 208.8 - Spring above 215.8)
- 8th Grade - Mean Reading RIT score will increase by 5 points (Fall 215.4 - Spring above 220.4)
Out of the Office
- April 8th - 9:30am-11:00am - Admin Meeting - DMR
- April 10th - 7am-11am - Teacher Effectiveness Training - CESA 6
- April 11th - 11am-2:30pm - RtI Team Meeting - DMR
- April 15th - 9:30am-11:00am - Admin Meeting - DMR
News and Notes
- Daily Attendance - Please continue to take accurate and timely attendance in your classrooms. We have noticed some inconsistencies with attendance in the office. This can pose a safety concern if it is unknown if a student is or isn't in the building. Please speak with Joan or myself if you have any questions.
- Final requisitions need to be turned in by April 11th so materials are paid for with this year's budget. Please let me know if there are needs that you have.
- Rebirth of Team Room - I am strongly considering going back to utilizing the room between the counselors office and the main office as the location for our team meetings next year. One reason for this is to have student documentation and data easily accessible to teams when they meet. Please come see me if you have any thoughts about this.
- New School Board Member - I'm very excited to introduce Vickie Goldapske as our newest school board member. She is a partner and doctor at Dynamic Chiropractic and also has a child at FLC. Welcome, Vickie!
- BAMS Got Talent - The talent show will take place on June 6th (last day of school) and auditions will be held on May 19th. There will be prizes for the top 3 student acts and there will also be prizes for any and all staff acts. It would be great to set a record for adult participation this year.
- I am currently working with administration to determine the MAP testing window for the end of the year. I will let you know when the dates are finalized.
- Thinking of Damaris - Thank you for keeping your minds on Damaris as she begins a long stay at Froedtert. This little boy must be eager to meet the world. :) Damaris' ability to email and return phone calls may be limited, and her my focus is on resting and relaxing. Please continue to think good thoughts for her.
- The 2nd and 4th graders will be stopping over to our building on April 10th to have lunch in the DMR before their dress rehearsal at the HMPAC. They will be here around noon on Thursday.
- On Thursday, our 8th graders will take part in a post secondary education presentation about a program called Upward Bound. This program is supported through Marian University and it works to serve low income and/or first generation college bound youth. Our 8th graders will be dismissed from exploratories early and meeting in the Nest at 10am to hear this presentation.
- Great Job, BAMS Band! - Thank you to Mike Riese for allowing our bands students to show off their talents last week during study hall. Very cool! Thank you to anyone that was able to come and support our student musicians.
- At the staff meeting on Tuesday we'll review some of our current behavioral data. Overall, our referral numbers are down significantly from last year. That's great! Those things don't happen by mistake. Thank you for all you are doing to help our students be great citizens in our building. Please continue to look for opportunities to acknowledge positive students behaviors. How many BAMS Bucks have you handed out for this month?
- If at any time you need behavioral data on a student, please speak with Brandon. He would be happy to get you any data you need.
- Next Meeting - April 9th at 7am
OASYS and Teacher Effectiveness
- Documentation Log - Due May 1st
- 2nd Observation - Due Before May 1st
- End of Year SLO Review - Due by May 15th
- SLO Score Report - Due by May 31st
- 2 visits to another classroom - Due May 1st - **Previously, this was had a due date of "end of year", but to be included in your documentation log it needs to be completed by May 1st.
**Documentation Log Reminders:
- You should have at least 1 artifact per standard and not more than 3 artifacts for any one standard.
- The classroom observations of any other teacher can go into any standard. Pick the standard that makes the most sense based on what you observed or what you took away from the experience.
Dates to Remember
- April 7th - Curriculum Steering Committee - 2:45-4:45pm
- April 8th - Staff Meeting - 2:50-3:15pm
- April 9th - Oriole Way Meeting - 7am
- April 9th - Early Release
- April 18th - Spring Break - No School
- April 22nd - Staff Meeting - 2:50-3:15pm
Staff Meeting Agenda
Next Staff Meeting: April 9th, 2014 - 2:50-3:15pm
- Review WKCE Data
- Review PBIS Data
- New Building SLO
Early Release Agenda
- Work on District Initiatives
*STAR information meeting will now take place during the May Early Release.
Mystery Staff Member
Who am I?
- I was a National Merit Scholar
- I was a foreign exchange student to West Germany
- I grew up a Lions fan, but I love the Pack now.
After reading the clues, email me with your guess of who this staff member is. The first 3 people to email me with the correct answer will get to prize from the "prize box".
Last week's Mystery Staff Member: Linda Wodsedalek
Last week's winner(s): Sarah McDowell