India Independence Movement
by. Lisbeth H
Date and location
- Name: India independence Revolution
- Date: 1857 to about August 15, 1947 (although more fighting happened after they gained their independence)
- Location: India and Pakistan
Why did they revolt?
- India revolted because they were tired of not having a say in their government.
- British where trying to enforce christianity.
How did the people overthrow the government?
They used civil disobedience and just refused to cooperate with the unjust laws. Ghandi also led boycotts against British goods, such as salt. They attacked the economy which impacted the British Government.
How did the government respond?
- The government fought back by imprisoning peaceful protesters. They would imprison protesters without a trail for as long as two years.
- They also responded violently one example would be the Jallianwala Bagh massacre (Amritsar Massacre) where there was a group of protester that got shot at by the British Indian Army.
How was the government the same or different following the revolution?
- They adopted the federal system.
- India became a parliament, they elected a Prime Minister
- The Prime Minister choose to follow Ghandi's non violent rule.
What was the lasting impact of the revolution?
- The tension between Hindus and Muslims.
- Separation of Hindus and Muslims.
- They adopted a federal system that gave power to the states.
India Gains Independence - Rare Video
"noblest act of the British nation.” - Mohandas Gandhi