(Familia Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis)
Life Expectancy & Treatments
There is currently no treatment, but they are testing ISIS-SOD1-Rx which will hopefully block production of SOD1 protein. Arimoclomol and Pyrimethamine are also being tested.
- muscle weakness in hands, arms, legs, muscles of speech, swallowing or breathing
- cramping or twitching mostly in hands and feet
- impaired use of arms and legs
- “thick speech” or difficulty speaking
- in advanced cases: shortness of breath & trouble swallowing and breathing