We Are Together Tamanend!
September 14, 2018
Thank Your for Reading Our Newsletter!
Laptop Distribution Day at Tamanend
We are excited to embark upon the 1:1 laptop initiative! To best facilitate the use of this technology, we have developed the following expectations and procedures related to student laptops in school for 7th and 8th graders:
- Students should take their laptops home each night. We ask that they charge them at home each evening.
- Students should carry their devices in their laptop bags in the hallways.
- Students should keep their laptops in their lockers during lunch.
- Students should close their laptops when they are unattended.
- Students should take special care of their laptop pens.
- Students should not peel off the labels.
- Students should use laptops in class for academic purposes only.
Although 9th graders are not part of the 1:1 laptop initiative at this time, beginning on September 14, teachers of 9th graders will have increased access to laptops in the classroom.
Reminder--Technology Fee for 7th and 8th Graders
Every Tamanend 7th and 8th grader received a laptop on Thursday, September 13. If you haven't paid the technology fee* using My Payments Plus, please do so. Click HERE to review payment information.
*If your family is dealing with a financial hardship at this time, please contact Dr. Brian Caughie firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss payment options.
"Book Speed Dating" in the Library
Cell Phone Policy
At Tamanend, we ask that students limit their use of cell phones to academic purposes. This means that cell phones must be powered off and stored out of sight unless a teacher is allowing their use in class for an assignment. Students are not permitted to use cell phones in the hallways or in the Cafeteria. We believe that it is important for students to engage in face-to-face conversations with peers and staff members in hallways and in the Cafeteria.
If you need to communicate with your child during the school day, we kindly ask that you call the Main Office at 267-893-2900.
Our cell phone policy is posted on our website and may be accessed here.
Thank you for your understanding and support as we work together to navigate the appropriate use of technology in the middle school setting.
Join the Tamanend Parent Book Club!
Join us for the Tamanend Parent Book Club. This year, we will be reading Raising Kids to Thrive (2015) by Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD. The book describes "the Lighthouse Parenting Strategy" in which parents balance unconditional love and high expectations with the goal of raising resilient and happy children. This book club will follow a "no-pressure" format in which the facilitator will present a summary of the chapter and open the floor for discussion. We will share resources and ideas with the goal of helping the entire Tamanend parent community navigate the challenges of raising adolescents.
Meetings are held at 6:30 in the Tamanend Library
The first meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 2
Click here for further information, dates, and book information.
Please email Dr. Brian Caughie at email@example.com if you are interested in participating.
September's Featured Teacher--Mrs. Magliozzo
Welcome Back to Tamanend’s Monthly Featured Teacher! Our Featured Teacher for this month is… Mrs. Magliozzo! Mrs. Magliozzo has been a teacher for 20 years and teaches 8th grade English Language Arts. Her favorite place to travel is the beach, and she loves the color Cobalt Blue. Mrs. Magliozzo is married and has two sons, 11 and 8 years old. If Mrs. Magliozzo was given three wishes she would wish to travel to the Mediterranean Sea, cure all cancers, and win the lottery. In her spare time, she enjoys spending time with her family and friends, cooking, and loves to read. Mrs. Magliozzo considers herself a “Foodie”; she enjoys all types of food. When Mrs. Magliozzo retires, which she states is “so far away”, she hopes to travel around the world! Well, that’s it for this month’s Featured Teacher!
Submitted by Paige S.
Reminder--Student Emergency Contacts & Information
Each year, the Central Bucks School District asks our families to fill out a Student Emergency & Information Form. Parents/Guardians can take care of this now and we ask that you complete your family’s Student Emergency & Information Form online by September 14, 2018.
The online form will ask you to confirm and/or update the following:
- Demographic Information
- Emergency Contacts
- Health Information, including permission for emergency care and analgesic administration
- Media Release Preferences (Please note that if you click on "no" for media release, your student will not be featured in our Tamanend Connections newsletter.)
Click here to be directed to your Parent Portal account to complete the Census Verification form.
If you need assistance with this process:
- For detailed information about this process, including a User Guide, please click here.
- If you do not have a Parent Portal account, please follow this link to request one.
- If you need help filling out the online form, email or call Lori Rebstock.
- If you need technical support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tamanend's Community Service Club--Partnership with CB Cares
Blood Drive--October 8
Parent Positive--Raise Them Strong
Our first Parent Positive event will be held on Thursday, September 27 at 7PM at Lenape Middle School. Brooks Gibbs is an award winning social skills educator who teaches students, parents, and teachers how to build emotional resilience and live by the Golden Rule. His program Raise Them Strong empowers students to make friends and manage emotions. He has spoken to over 2,500 schools and shared his message with over 2 million students. Parents can register here.
Tuesday, Sep. 18th, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School. Parent Council typically meets on the third Thursday of each month at 9 a.m. Please note that this first meeting will take place on a Tuesday. There is no obligation to attend all Parent Councils and there are no elected positions. Parent Council is a forum for parents and school leaders to learn from and with each other, together.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900