Land and Climate

  • At its widest point, Jamaica is 51 miles across.
  • Jamaica is part of the Greater Antilles.
  • It is 80% mountanous and the other 20% is suitable for continous cultivation.
  • Jamaica is just smaller than Connecticut.
  • The climate is miritime climate and rain fall varies on the region.
  • Hurricane season is from May-November.

History and Government

  • Slavery was abolished in 1838.
  • In 1860, colonial possesion was to the British Crown Colony.
  • Constitution in 1944 defeated British Rule; then went on to gain full independence in 1962.
  • Some political parties ganged up with urban gangs to force citizens to vote for them.
  • The highest murder rate in the world belongs to Jamaica.
  • Their voting age is 18.


  • Tourism is a key element of Jamaica's economy.
  • Agriculture employs 17% of the Jamaican population.
  • The country carries a high amount of public debt.
  • 16% of the population lives below the poverty line.
  • Bauxite is a major export of Jamaica.
  • A growing portion of the population eanrs a livable income.

Vacation Plan

Day 1

Travel: Flew from Chicago to Atlanta, From Atlanta to Jamaica.

Meals:Breakfast and lunch were skipped due to flight. Ate supper at Scotchies.

Activities:Swam at hotel pool.

Day 2

Meals: Skipped breakfast, ate lunch at the beach as a picnic. Ate supper at Scotchies again.

Activities: Spent a long day at the beach today.

Day 3

Activities: Played a few rounds of golf at a resort golf course. Then swam at hotel pool.

Meals: Ate lunch at clubhouse. Ate supper at Scotchies again.

Day 4

Activities: Spent the day at the waterpark.

Meals: Ate lunch at waterpark. Ate supper at Scotchies again because it is such a good restaraunt.

Day 5

Activities: Went skydiving and swam at hotel pool.

Meals: Ate lunch at hotel. Ate supper at Scotchies again.

Day 6

Activities: Swam all day at the beach for our last day.

Meals: Had a picnic at the beach for lunch. Ate supper at Scotchies for the last time.

Day 7

Activities: Swam at hotel till we had to leave for our flights.

Travel Home: Flew from Jamaica to Atlanta. From Atlanta back to Chicago.

Total Price: $6515.10 Airfare/Lodging: $3713.60 Meals: $545.50 Activities: $1456 Shopping: $800



"Jamaica." CultureGrams Online Edition. ProQuest, 2012. Web. 19 Nov 2012.

Sisters. 2005. Photograph. Collection of CultureGrams. ProQuest, 2012. Web. 19 Nov 2012.

Police Officer. 2005. Photograph. Collection of CultureGrams. ProQuest, 2012. Web. 19 Nov 2012