Friday, September 11th 2020
ALL BARRY FAMILIES
Character Strong - Family Dares
I am excited to challenge you all to participate in next week's dare: No Tech Table Time. Please see my video below explaining the dare and its importance. Also, please reach out to share experiences you are having with these family dares via phone call, email, or even video recording. I would love to highlight these things on Instagram and our newsletters.
Week 3 - No Tech Table Time
Helpful Reminders - In-Person Learners
Waiver Allows Free Meals for All Students
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) announced nationwide waivers to allow the continuation of free meals to all students through the National School Lunch Program's Seamless Summer Option (SSO).
The nationwide waivers allow school districts to serve meals in a similar manner to how students were served meals beginning in March. Through these programs, meals are served at no charge to students, regardless of their lunch status.
These waivers are currently allowed through December 31, 2020 or until the USDA notifies districts the funding has run out.
Beginning Wednesday, September 9, all students, whether in-person or remote, will be eligible for a free breakfast and a free lunch each school day.
Additional meals and a la carte items (extra milk, extra entrees, chips, etc.) are not included in the waiver. This waiver does not include adult meals.
These free meals are eligible for all children in the community 18 years of age and younger through the end of December or as long as funding is available. If you think you may qualify for free or reduced-priced lunch, please fill out the form at this link, so that you are covered when this free program ends.
Remote learners and in-person 6th-12th grade learners on their off-campus days, may order grab and go meals through Nutrislice or on the Nutrislice app. Curbside meals must be ordered no later than 9:30am the day of service by clicking the "SFE to Go" link from your child's school menu. Use your child’s student ID number to create an account on Nutrislice. Curbside meal service will occur for all schools at the following locations and times, please note the change in times at Barry and location at PCMS from previous communication:
- Barry School (for Pathfinder and Barry Students): Front circle drive, 1 to 1:30pm
- Do we need to complete the F/R application to receive the free meals? No. Not at this time, but we want to encourage those who may qualify for F/R to complete this form now.
- Do in-person learners need to order their meals through Nutrislice? No. Only remote learners or alternating schedule learners on off-campus days need to place their orders through the app or website.
- With each curbside pickup lunch, a breakfast will be included for the following morning.
- Please note, with the anticipated increase in curbside orders, SFE is asking that orders be placed by 8 am each day.
Curbside Library Pick Up
If your virtual student is in need of library books, you may put up to 3 books on hold and pick them up on Fridays between 8:00-10:00 am and 12:00-2:30 pm. Once your student has put the books on hold, email one of us at
and let us know what time you will be coming to Barry to pick up your books. We will have them outside at the curb in front of Barry at the time you designate. We are excited to be able to allow our virtual students to continue using Barry library. To learn how to put books on hold from our library click here How to Put Books on Hold.
To visit Barry’s virtual library click here Barry Middle School Virtual Library
Message from PTSA
PTSA Sign Up
Please sign up and support our PTSA.
Pirate Spirit Wear
Orders due by 5 pm on 9/14.
9/22 Papa Johns Night
Support Barry by planning on having Papa Johns for dinner.
PTSA Sign Up
5TH GRADE FAMILIES
Grade Level Newsletter
MIDDLE SCHOOL FAMILIES (GRADES 6-8)
Middle School Sports Update
Due to the PCMS parking lot being used for bus riders every day, we ask that you do not bring your virtual football or volleyball players to practice until 2:55 each day. We also ask that you use the following route when dropping off your athletes.
7th and 8th Grade Girls - Intramural Volleyball
7th and 8th Grade Band Families (Repeat)
Helpful Reminders - Remote Learners
Remote Learning Questions (Repeat)
THE SOCIAL WORK SCOOP
How Much Sleep Does My Middle Schooler Need?
Children and adolescents who do not get enough sleep have a higher risk for many health and behavior problems. Learn how much sleep students need and how many are not getting it.
Parents can support good sleep habits such as:
- Sticking to a consistent sleep schedule during the school week and weekends. This means going to bed at the same time each night and getting up at the same time each morning. Adolescents whose parents set bedtimes are more likely to get enough sleep.6 To help decide on a good bedtime for your child, go to the Bedtime Calculator.external icon
- Limiting light exposure and technology use in the evenings.
- Parents can limit when their children may use electronic devices (sometimes referred to as a “media curfew”).
- Parents can limit where their children may use electronic devices (for example, not in their child’s bedroom).
Treasure Chest (Repeat)
The Treasure Chest is our school district resource center. It is a stocked pantry providing food, clothing, toiletries, and other household supplies. All items in the Treasure Chest are free to PCR-3 students and families who participate in the Free or Reduced School Lunch Program. The Treasure Chest is open for shopping every week of the calendar year on Wednesday evenings from 4pm-6pm. Families must register at the following link or call 816.858.7001 weekly so we can appropriately plan for resources. Once approved, families can drive through at the original Treasure Chest site (in the north parking lot of PCHS). Identification must be provided in order to receive food.
Register weekly here:
If you need to complete a new lunch application for the 2020/2021 school year, please follow this link:
Free Online Tutoring Help (Repeat)
Students K-12 can access Live Homework Help from Tutor.Com for free, online, seven days a week in English and Spanish in a variety of subjects. Learn more: mymcpl.org/backtoschool