Using SMORE in your Classroom
A FREE Web 2.0 tool and learn about iPads in the process
First create a FREE account
Create an account, you will notice there is an Eduction link, but that is $59.00 a year, great price and judging by the features, well worth it, that is when you have your won classroom and want your students using it as well.
But for our purposes, just create a FREE account. You will have to option to sign up using your Facebook login & password, or create an account without Facebook. It is up to you, but I suggest creating these education account without linking them to Facebook.
Make sure you write down your login and password.
A couple of tutorials to get your started!
Let's give it a go........
Here are a few things to think about as you do your research. Maybe you already have an iPad, or maybe you are looking for justification for buying one, either way, the chances of an iPad being a part of your teaching future are are pretty secure. So it is time to gain a little perspective.
- What are the advantages,
- Why are schools jumping on the iPad bandwagon,
- What's so cool about an iPad.
- What about digital textbooks?
- What about special needs and accessibility features?
- Could an iPad replace a computer?
- What can you do with an iPad?
- Why does it engage kids?
- What about the entertainment value?
- Reading? Word Processing?, Presentations?
- Could this level the playing field for all students?
- What is is cost savings between the device, books, paper, etc, etc.
KSDE statistics indicate that about 75% of the schools in Kansas are already using iPads to some degree and many are 1:1 or about to move that direction.
1:1 means every student has a device to use 24/7. 1:1 means the iPad is assigned to the student. In fact, I just learned a few weeks ago, that every teacher in Manhattan is receiving an iPad.
In fact, the KSU College of Education is moving to an iPad requirement in 2014 (just waiting for the Board of Regents signature). It will be a requirement when a student is admitted to teacher education. You are already admitted, so the requirement will not impact you, but a small piece of the reason for implementing the requirement is that it will save students a great deal of money on textbooks. Of course, there are many, many more reasons.
- Your Flyer/Newsletter must have not less than 10 websites/resources with descriptions, links and images. But more is super.
- You must have at least 3 videos (but you many have more) on the topic of iPads in the classroom.
- Do your research, dig deep, find appropriate information, images, links, videos that you could use in your education and teaching
- Put together all your resources in a Smore document.
- Embed your Smore document on your website (instructions below)
- Title your Smore and your post: iPads in the Classroom.
- Resources to get you started are below.
Add a New post and the embed code from smore to your website
Transforming the Classroom with iPads
A few resources to get your started on your research, but these are only a starting place!
iPad Ideas; Inspire, Invoke, Illuminate
Getting Started with IOS Devices: A guide for using
The device that changed everything is now changing the Classroom
Cyndi's Pinterest Boards
- iPads in the Classroom
- Apps for the iPad
- iPad Help
- 1:1 Tech
- Books & iBooks
- iPad Lesson Ideas
- iBooks Author and Book Creator
iPads in the Classroom; Kathy Schrocks Guide to Everything
8 Studies Show iPads in the Classroom Improve Education
iLearn: Ideas for using iPads in the Classroom
Top 10 Reasons Classrooms Should Have iPads
Recommended: Reasons the iPad is an awesome tool for classrooms and education
5 Reasons why the Ipad will stay King in the classroom