Let's Get K Ready!
Tips for Parents of Upcoming Kindergartners
Welcome & Please Subscribe!
This issue highlights shape identification. There are so many ways to build learning into your day and be ready for K!
Shape Up for Kindergarten
Octagonal stop signs, rectangular windows, triangular pizza slices and circular wheels! We can find shapes everywhere in our environment. Learning shapes will help preschool children identify and organize visual information. Knowing shapes will also come in handy when learning problem solving skills, math skills, and reading comprehension skills. In addition, shape identification can help children understand other signs and symbols.
Some shapes that your child will benefit from knowing in kindergarten are the following:
Rhombus (or diamond)
How can you help your child learn shapes?
- Go on a shape hunt. Walk around the house and take pictures of shapes using your phone and then make a shape movie out of the pictures.
- Cut shapes out of paper and have your child look around your house or neighborhood for objects that match that shape.
- Gather a bunch of different objects or toys, and help your toddler sort them into piles according to shape.
- Cut shapes out of construction paper, glue them down randomly on another piece of paper, and create a shape collage. (see the image above)
- Play this online game to learn about shapes together!
If you want to go in even deeper, here are some cute shape poems to teach your little one. Any or all of these activities will help your future kindergartner to be in tip top shape for K! #CCPSKREADY
Learn Shapes! Fun Music Video for You and Your Child
Let Your Child Play!
CCPS Summer Readiness Programs for Upcoming K Students
Are you interested in sending your uprising kindergartner to a summer learning program? If your answer is yes, Chesterfield County Public Schools is holding Summer Readiness Programs Monday through Thursday, June 28 - July 22. Please see this link for more information about all the CCPS summer programs.