Laura Bush Middle School
January 15, 2024
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
MAP Testing Begins
7th girls basketball vs Heritage
7th boys basketball @ Heritage
8th girls basketball @ Heritage
8th boys basketball vs. Heritage
If your child is going to be absent for an entire day, you may submit an absence request in skyward. Below are the steps:
- Login to your family access
- Select your student
- Click on attendance
- Click "add absence request"
- Fill out all required information and make sure "all day" is selected
All other absence types (coming in late, checking out early, etc) can be taken care of in the office.
***Remember that all doctors notes must be received within 48 hours of the absence. Your child can bring a physical copy or you may email a copy to email@example.com.
Applications were made available last Thursday. Below is some additional information:
"Student Council Applications are available for ALL students. They are available outside Mr. Hemelstrand's room beginning Thursday the 11th. The applications are open to all 6th graders and any 7th or 8th graders that have not made the cut in the past. They are due back to Mr. Hemelstrand no later than Friday January 19th.
To be eligible you must have:
- 80 or above average in all classes last semester.
- No office referrals or ISS for discipline issues last semester.
- No more than 6 unexcused absences last semester.
Cheer Tryouts For Next School Year
For those interested in trying out for LBMS cheer/mascot next school year, please read the important information below:
A mandatory parent meeting has been scheduled to discuss cheerleading and mascot requirements with the parents of any current 6th and 7th graders who are interested in trying out for the 2024-2025 school year. Please plan to be in attendance, Wednesday evening, January 24th, at 6:00 p.m. in the LBMS cafeteria. Parents of any potential candidates must attend the meeting for candidates to be eligible for the tryout process.If you have any questions please contact Erin Kelley at ekelley@|cisd.net
Semester Exemption Days
The Pirate Pantry program is an outreach of the Lubbock-Cooper community present on each of the district's eight campuses which supplies students (and families) with food, clothing, supplies, and other needs.
The purpose of a campus Pirate Pantry is to provide essentials for students that they may not have access to, with the ultimate goal of giving them the best possible chance to succeed. Campus Pirate Pantries accept donations from community members and operate through donations made by area business and community leaders and, most recently, a grant boost from First United Bank via the Lubbock-Cooper Education Foundation.
Currently, LBMS Pirate Pantry is in need of restocking shelves after supplying as many families as we could before summer. We are in need of the following donations to Pirate Pantry for both boys and girls as well as snacks that might be helpful through the weekends.
- Hygiene products
- Body Wash
- Hair Brushes
- Laundry Soap (small enough to be sent in a backpack)
- Kid Friendly Snacks (Fruit Snacks, Jello, Pudding, Peanut Butter, PopTarts, Granola Bars, Individual packaged items, apple sauce, trail mix, beef jerky, etc)
All donated items may be dropped off in the front office. We appreciate your consideration!!
Businesses To The East Of LBMS
Some of the businesses directly east of LBMS have asked for help with a few things:
1. Please don't use their lots as a place for student pick-up or drop-off.
2. If your student isn't going to be a paying customer, they do not need to be there for the sake of hanging out or waiting for a ride.
3. Please avoid using the alley behind Happy's and Harrigan's as a cut through to avoid before and after school traffic. We want to help their staff remain safe when doing outside tasks.
Let's do our part as a LCP community to help these businesses out.
No Outside Delivery For Student Lunches
Parents/Guardians may bring a lunch for their students. Lunches can be dropped off in the front office and students will be allowed to pick-up their food when they are dismissed for lunch.
**Due to security concerns, no outside entity (DoorDash, Uber Eats, Favor, Pizza delivery, Chick-Fil-A, etc.) will be allowed to drop off lunches for students. Lunches delivered in this way to students will not be accepted and will be turned away.