The Comma Way
The 10 comma rules
Introducing comma rules
This is why you want to know the 10 comma rules and not look like a bad writer.
"Let's eat grandma!" this sounds like they want to eat their grandma. They wanted to say, "Let's eat, grandma!"
The 10 comma rule's 1-5
Good Example: "some of my favorite sports are baseball, basketball, and lacrosse"
Good Example: " My favorite places are Denver, Florida, and Missouri
2. Use commas when writing an informational letter after the opening and the closing.
Good Example: "Dear Mr. Hosmer, Thank you for the amazing season. You did terrific in the playoffs. Sincerely, Carson and Aiden"
Good Example:" Dear Mr. Obama, Thank you for 2 terms as president, they have been wonderful. Sincerely, Noah, Aiden, and Carson"
3. Use commas in addresses and dates.
Good Example: "Today is Wednesday, January 14"
Good Example:" Today is Thursday, January 15"
4. Use commas when addressing a person to set off a name
Good Example: "Billy, are you going to the dance?"
Good Example:" Aiden, are you going to the game"
5. Use a comma with short expressions such as: well, yes, no, sure, and oh"
Good Example: "Yes, I can go to the dance"
Good Example:" oh, we have a game?"
The 10 comma rules 6-10
Good Example:" First, I got my socks, and I got a haircut.
Good Example:" I went to basketball practice, for practice"
7. Use commas before and after words that may interrupt the flow of thought
Good Example:"I was running, WHAM, I ran into my friend"
Good Example:"I was losing control, POP, I hit my friend
8. Use commas to set off transistional words or expressions.
Good Example:"First, I went to the restroom"
Good Example:" Next, I read a book"
9. Use a comma after a introductory element.
Good Example:" When I was playing, I lost control"
Good Example:" When I was six, I ran into a wall"
10. Use commas with direct qutations.
Good Example:" I said, I went to the practice."
Good Example: "Are you're fingers hurting?, said Rob Lough"