The Wise Wing
April 9, 2021
Back from Break!
We hope you had a great short week! Many of us are suffering through pollen allergies! Hopefully, April showers will help. We wish you a wonderful weekend. Please take a few moments to review our Wise Wing details below!
Save the Date
- Wednesday, April 14 is a district Asynchronous Day.
- Heroic Hawk Spirit Week (Coordinated by our Hilburn Student Teachers) is April 19-23!
- Hilburn Family Night Out is April 28 at TownRidge Square Chipotle.
When does my child come to school?
- PreK-5 students who were coming daily before Spring Break, return daily on Thursday, April 8.
- 6-8 students who were attending on cohort rotations before Spring Break, return daily on Thursday, April 8.
- Students who requested to leave Virtual Academy and return to school for Plan A, return daily on Monday, April 19.
**All In-Person Hawks are required to wear a mask.
SPRING DREAMBOX CHALLENGE
April 9 is Report Card Day
Report Cards are emailed or go home with students today!
April 14 is a WCPSS Asynchronous Day
April 28 is a WCPSS Asynchronous Day
WCPSS Attendance Reminders
- North Carolina requires school districts to communicate in writing regarding student absences beyond 6 days without medical information. If your child has missed more than 6 days, they may receive one of these required letters.
- Families who elect to attend in-person learning, are assigned to in-person learning in Power School. This means your child cannot become a Virtual Academy student for one day, nor for a long weekend due to vacation. Quarantine requirements are coded differently.
- Student attendance and engagement directly impacts academic outcomes, progression, and success.
- Rising 9th Grade Registration: On Monday, March 15th, Mrs. Pendergraft went to each 8th grade Social Studies class and guided students through registering for high school courses on PowerSchool. Students made choices and submitted them. They have until Tuesday, March 23rd to go in and make changes to their selections. Please review these selections with your student and have discussions regarding their choices. If you would like to make an appointment to discuss registration, please email Mrs.Pendergraft at email@example.com. Parent verification forms will be forthcoming after the registration window closes.
- Rising 7th and 8th Grade Registration: Mrs. Pendergraft will be going into all 6th grade Social Studies classes on Tuesday, March 23th and all 7th grade Social Studies classes on Friday, March 26th to walk students through registering for next year's electives. Please take some time this weekend to talk with your student regarding which electives they wish to take next year and refer to our elective offerings list. The list can be found here. If you would like to make an appointment to discuss registration, please email Mrs.Pendergraft at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rising 6th Grade Registration: 6th-grade registration is well under way here at Hilburn! Ms. Knapp is currently meeting individually with all Virtual Academy 5th graders via Google Meet. If your student is in VA and has not scheduled their registration meeting, please email Ms. Knapp at email@example.com. Ms. Knapp will meet individually with all in-person 5th graders during the school day over the next two weeks. You do not need to schedule an appointment time for this. Please take some time this weekend to talk with your student regarding which electives they wish to take next year and refer to our elective offerings list. The list can be found here.. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to Ms. Knapp at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When A Hawk Goes Home Sick
What happens if my Hawk is sick?
We understand students experience a variety of illnesses outside of COVID-19! As a reminder, we are required to contact you to pick up your child for the following:
**When returning back to school after experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please bring your doctor's note to the main office!
All you need to know about symptoms of COVID or COVID related illness is on our website HERE. The brief video below covers the procedures and symptoms associated with school procedures!
How can my Hawk return to school?
If a student does not pass the daily screening OR presents with any of the following symptoms during the school day, parents will be notified and students will be picked up from school.
In order to return after experiencing a symptom...
No medical diagnosis or Covid test?
They may return if: It has been at least 10 days since they first had symptoms AND it has been 24 hours since they had a fever (without the use of fever reducing medication) AND symptoms have improved, including cough and shortness of breath.
Alternate medical diagnosis?
They may return if: They have a confirmed diagnosis other than COVID-19 (like a stomach virus, ear infection, etc.) from a healthcare professional AND It has been at least 24 hours since they had a fever (without the use of fever reducing medicine) AND They have felt well for 24 hours.
Negative Covid Test?They may return if: They have a negative PCR/Molecular* COVID-19 test AND It has been at least 24 hours since they had a fever (without the use of fever reducing medicine) AND They have felt well for 24 hours. NOTE: If they have a negative rapid antigen** test, they must receive a follow-up negative PCR/Molecular test.
Did you know that Hilburn is hosting the YMCA AfterSchool Program?
At YMCA After School, kids expand their learning beyond the classroom. We use a balanced curriculum that supports learning through active play and a focus on character development and social emotional learning. We also offer a quiet space and support for students to work on their homework Monday through Thursday afternoons.
During the week, students will participate in a variety of enrichment activities with opportunities for skill development, physical activity and fun.
After School is held from school dismissal until 6 p.m. The YMCA program is hosted on our school campus.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION. SIGN UP TODAY!