Fostering Language & Literacy
In the Early Childhood Classroom / A make-and-Take Seminar
April 26, 2017 / San Antonio, TX
Talking, Singing, Reading, & Writing!
Join Kelly Harmon for a day full of innovative, engaging ideas and activities for authentically accelerating the literacy development of young children! Through language play, music, read alouds, investigations, and experimenting with literacy tools, young children develop receptive, expressive, reading and writing vocabularies. Explore ways to set up a rich language and print environment and how to respectfully share literacy practices with parents of young children. This seminar includes make-and-take games and activities to use immediately in your classrooms!
- Developmentally Appropriate Early Literacy Practices
- Building Background Knowledge
- Listening Comprehension Development
- Oral Language Development Activities
- Using Songs to Develop Language
- Circle Time Ideas
- Ideas for Exploring Science Concepts and Skills
- Powerful, Interactive Read Alouds
- Using Drama to Develop Expressive Language
- Shared Reading using Big Books, Poems, and Songs
- Drawing and Writing With Young Children
- Literacy Games for Inside and Outside
- Phonemic Awareness Ideas & Activities
- Developing Alphabetic Principle
- Literacy Centers
- Using Snack Time to Develop Procedural Knowledge and Vocabulary
- Developing a Growth Mindset
- Parent Involvement Ideas
- Technology Resources
- and Much More!
Meet the Presenter!
Fostering Language & Literacy In the Early Childhood Classroom
Wednesday, April 26th, 8:30am
850 Halm Boulevard
San Antonio, TX
The location is the La Quinta San Antonio Airport
Registration Begins at 8:00am
Morning Session: 8:30am-11:30am
Lunch on your own
Afternoon Session: 12:30pm-3:30pm
Wifi is provided
We encourage you to bring an iPad or laptop.
6 Hours of Professional Development
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
$199 per participant
Principals attend for FREE with registration of 3 or more teachers!
10% discount for groups booking 3 or more! ($179.10 per person)
You can register by faxing, Calling, or Emailing your registration form in.
Purchase Orders are accepted. We accept cash, check, or credit card.
Please Make Checks or Purchase Orders out to Kelly Harmon & Associates.
Call (817) 583-1290
Fax (972) 369-7327
For more Information Please contact us!
"Very meaningful seminar! Being able to apply a hands on approach where students are able to take ownership in their learning across the content is great!" -Corina G.
"Best one yet! Loved it! Great resources & strategies!" - Lindsay T.
"High energy, interesting presentation! Very useful information and materials!" Luis P.
Check Out Kelly Harmon's Book!
Kelly Harmon & Robert Marzano teamed up to write Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes. The book is part of the Essentials for Achieving Rigor Series.
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes: Classroom Techniques to Help Students Develop Proficiency explores explicit techniques for mastering this crucial strategy of instructional practice. It includes:
- Explicit steps for implementation
- Recommendations for monitoring students’ ability to develop fluent thinking
- Adaptations for students who struggle, have special needs, or excel in learning
- Examples and non-examples from classroom practice
- Common mistakes and ways to avoid them