Southwest Middle School
March 2016 Edition
- Our last home volleyball & soccer matches will be held on March 24th. Start time is 4:00 for both games and cost is $4.00. Come out and support the teams.
- Our FREE after-school program is still accepting applications. Please call the office for more information. (910)455-1105
- 2015-2016 school yearbooks are on sale at this time. The cost is $26. Order one before they are all gone.
- SPRING BREAK begins with a holiday on next Friday, March 25th, and students return to school on April 4th. The school will be closed during the break.
- The front entrance of the school will be getting a much needed design change. These changes should help to manage the traffic flow and congestion at drop off and pick ups. The work is scheduled to be done by April 4th.
- We will be hosting a career day on April 8th from 8:30-10:00. Parents are welcome to attend this event.
- On April 14th, the ENCORE ARTS NIGHT will be held all over the campus. Come out and hear our students sing, paint, and play instruments. This should be an amazing event.
Southwest Middle Spring Block Party and Family Fun Night
Friday, April 29th, 5-8pm
3000 Furia Drive
This event will be open to the entire Southwest community, from the kindergarten to high school students. We will have food, music, games, and prizes. If you are interested in volunteering your time or in making donations for door prizes or other items please contact us at 455-1105 and ask for Ms. Sinclair or Ms. Petrock. Be ready to experience an awesome event and a night to remember!
April Calendar Events
- April 4- baseball tryouts (need physical form)
- April 8- Report cards go home
- April 8- Career Day
- April 14- ENCORE ARTS NIGHT
- April 20- Early Release (students)
- April 25- Track Tryouts
- April 29- Southwest Block Party
Staff & Student Recognitions
- 7th and 8th grade band students received a Superior rating at Music Performance Adjudication last week
- Kyle Lanier has been selected as the “Arts Teacher of the Year” for our school
- Jordan Inman and Tenley Fowler won the 8th grade level civic oration speeches
- 7th/8th grade orchestra: Superior rating at music performance assessment
- Battle of the Books team took 2nd place in the county competition
- Orchestra students selected for Regional Orchestra: Aramis Birkhimer; Isaac Hewitt; Kiara Neilsen; Lacey Swinson; Nicolas Williams
- Spelling Bee Contest- Our 1st place winner is Jaheim White and 2nd place is Kaylee Frasier. They will compete on March 24th at Northwoods Park Middle
- Philip Hollinger has been named the "Tech Savvy Teacher of the Year" for Southwest Middle
- Sachelle Dorencamp has been named the "Instructional Support Staff Member of the Year."
- School winners for the school-wide Civic Oration Contest are 1st place- Kiara Neilson, 2nd place- Omianna Chalmers, 3rd place- Julia Easley
These are just a few of the wonderful things going on at Southwest Middle School.
- A special welcome home to Ms. Michelle McCarroll, our cafeteria worker who has been away for medical reasons. She is home and recovering well.
- A special "welcome to the world" goes out to Miss Ellie Marie Jackson, daughter of Coach Jackson and her husband.
- Finally, best of luck to goes out to Ms. Kelli Haden, our school treasurer, as she relocates to another state. You will be missed!