SPS Wellness Plan 2020
All other foods and beverages will meet USDA guidelines as listed below.
USDA Guidelines for "Other" foods and beverages:
- Contain whole grains OR
- Have a dairy product, fruit, vegetable or protein product be listed as the first ingredient OR
- Have a combination of at least 1/4 a cup fruit or 1/4 a cup vegetable OR
- Contain 10% of Daily Value
Food Will Also Meet the Following Requirements:
Fat and Sugar Limits
- Total fat must be under 30% of calories
- Saturated fat must be under 10% of calories
- 0% Trans fat
- Less than 30% of weight from total sugars in foods
Calorie and Sodium Limits:
- Snack Item: less than 150 calories
- Entree Item: less than 300 calories
- Snack Item: less than 200 mg
- Entree Item: less than 420 mg
Standards for Beverages:
- No carbonated beverages or energy drinks will be served to any grade level.
Schools may serve:
- 100% fruit or vegetable juice
All after-school activities, fundraisers, school parties and vending machines will follow the guidelines listed above
Lessons will be hands-on, applicable, relevant and enjoyable.
Community organizations will be encourages to join in teaching these lessons.
Healthy People 2020:
1. To promote overall wellness in adolescents as well as adults through nutrition education.
2. To keep home, school and overall city environments clean and safe.