Upper Nyack Elementary School SCOOP
News You Can Use! April 12, 2023
Neon Dance - FRIDAY, APRIL 14
Please mark your calendars for the UNES PTA NEON DANCE on THIS FRIDAY April 14!!
CLICK HERE FOR THE NEON DANCE FLYER
Paper copies are being sent home via backpack mail this week.
PTA is seeking parent volunteers and baked goods.
PLEASE CLICK HERE to sign up.
All money raised will benefit our PTA and FIFTH GRADE COMMITTEE. Please join us for a fun evening!!
Parent Teacher Conferences - FRIDAY, APRIL 14
The sign up forms for conferences should have all been sent to you by now. If you have not received this information yet, please reach out to your child's teacher for more assistance.
The schedule for dismissal on our half days for P/T Conferences is as follows:
11:30 am - Kindergarten Students
11:35 am - Walkers & Grades 1 - 5
11:40 am - Car Riders Grades K - 5
11:45 am - Bus Riders K - 5
UNES TALENT SHOW - MAY 18
CLICK HERE FOR THE SIGN - UP FORM IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE IT
NYS ELA and MATH EXAMS
The district sent out the following communication last week:
This spring Nyack Public Schools will be administering the New York State Grades 3-8 English Language Arts (ELA) Mathematics and Science tests. As in previous years, the district has selected to administer the assessments through a paper-based model. We encourage our students to showcase their knowledge and participate in the exams. The district will continue to use the results from these assessments to reflect on our programs and practices and provide the necessary support to the students in the Nyack Public Schools.
The state has made changes to the ELA and Mathematics assessments in recent years:
- The assessments have been shortened from three days to two days.
- The assessments are untimed.
- Test questions were written and reviewed by educators.
Below you will find the assessment dates:
- Grades 3-8 English Language Arts – Wednesday, April 19 – Thursday, April 20
- Grades 3-8 Mathematics – Tuesday, May 2 – Wednesday, May 3
- Science Grade 8 Performance – Tuesday, May 30
- Science Grade 8 Written – Monday, June 5
Our leaders and staff have continued to provide teaching and learning experiences for our students to meet the standards that are measured by the assessments.
If you decide not to have your child participate in the assessments, we ask that you notify your building principal, in writing, no later than April 13, 2023. This information will assist in the planning and preparation process.
The assessments will be scored if your child participates in any section of the NYSED assessments. For more information about the NYS assessments, please review the resource below: http://www.nysed.gov/state-assessment/parent-resources
PTA IS SEEKING A FEW DEDICATED PARENTS
Calling all parents and caregivers!! The PTA’s two year term is finishing this year and all positions are open!!
Joining the PTA is a great way to get involved with the school and help build our community. Anyone interested- just click on the form and let us know. We will be gathering interest over the next few weeks and will introduce the new board at the last PTA meeting of the year in June.
ARCHIVES ON OUR WEBSITE
Mark Your Calendars!
- Friday, April 14 - Early Dismissal / Parent Teacher Conferences / Neon Dance
- April 19-20 - NYS ELA Exam
- Thursday, April 20 - Evening Parent Teacher Conferences (VIRTUAL)
- April 21 - Earth Day Celebration / Early Dismissal / Parent Teacher Conferences
- May 2 & 3 - NYS Math Exam
- Friday, May 5 - PTA Staff Appreciation Celebration (Please contact the PTA to donate or help out)