Eastside: One Team, One Dream
"We never lose. We either win or we learn. - Nelson Mandela
Week of March 2nd
Our mission is to build a strong educational foundation while meeting the unique needs of our students.
Working in partnership with the community, Eastside Elementary will provide all students:
A collaborative team of professionals who are committed to improve their practices, so that all students learn at high levels
A safe, positive, and inviting learning environment
An engaging and challenging curriculum focused on essential academics and life skills
Individualized and timely support that provides students with what they need to succeed
Be aware of the importance of each day!
- 20 important practices until K-2 Summative MAP (THE BIG GAME April 13-17)
- 25 important practices until 3rd-4th Summative ACT (THE BIG GAME - April 20 - 22)
- 30 important practices until 5th Summative ACT (THE BIG GAME - April 27-29)
My favorite part of this clip is at the very end. The coach says that the game is 5 players on the floor functioning as one single unit and not one more important than the other. I want all of you to know that by accomplishing what we have done to become a Model PLC School is the definition of all of us functioning as a single unit. I don't know what all the future holds for us this year, but I know winning will continue to be part of the story. Becoming a Model PLC school provides plenty of opportunity for us to continue #winning for kids! We have just a few short weeks prior to our end of year test. We all need to get in the winning mindset and keep giving it everything we have for our students to succeed. Looking forward to cutting down the nets with all of you real soon, but until then we will keep working hard!
Great work with Hattie in the month of February! This should have given you LOTS of artifacts for your PGP goal. It for sure was great for students to interact and own the classroom!
I have heard from several of you that have loved the accountability piece that this brings. For the month of March, you will not have any big requirements with Hattie but I encourage you to keep using them because they are research based and effective for student growth!
The only "fun" we will have with Hattie in March is that you will receive a shamrock to post outside your door. You can write the Hattie strategy you are focusing on. If you would like to post the work from that strategy by the shamrock or a picture of your kids doing that activity that will be great. You could keep the same strategy all month if you want to really master it. You could even put your name on the BRING IT ON BOARD for your colleagues to come see it in action. This provides more freedom. If you are using a Hattie strategy during a certain week in March, you will place it in your lesson plans labeled HATTIE'S LUCK!
Mrs. Gentry shares about Hattie in action with Kinder using 2 Stars and a Wish
Mrs. Robertson shares about using Hattie in 3rd grade
We Made the Paper!
Details for the Week
Click this link for the Bring It On board. Bring it On Board March 2-6 Things that teachers have asked to see are assessments in block, 2 stars and a wish, microteach, and student ownership.
Make sure you are using every minute with your students. A few of you have emailed me during instruction time. This is not okay and I have addressed it with those that have. If it is something urgent, you need to intercom the office.
Our Groupme will only be used after school hours from now on. I know when you send something you are on your prep, lunch, or break, but those receiving the messages are not and this can be a distraction to the learning. A few people have had to send something this past week, but that was with my permission.
Make sure if you are in a room to assist a teacher with interventions that you are doing just that and not visiting with the adult in the room. I have addressed those that I have seen this happen in. You are in the room to help kids! If you have questions about this, please see me personally.
Know that I am never too busy to visit with you. If you need to speak with me, please let me know and we will schedule a time to sit down and visit.
SIT, DIBELS, and MAP PM INFO:
SIT comments will be for 2nd and 3rd grade
DIBELS PM will pause since we have ACT Aspire Interim for 3-5. We will DiBEL 3-5 next week.
MAP PM will be for 2nd only (We will get grade 3 next week since they are Interim testing this week.)
- ACT Aspire Interim 3 English (timed 45 minutes) - make sure to remind kids of their goals
- Dr Howse schedule: first grade from 8:20 - 10:00, kinder from 10:00 - 11:30, 3-5 math teachers will work with her from 12:00 - 3:00. Math teachers, subs will come to you at 11:30, so you can take your lunch at that time.
- Send home new reading passages on Monday. Make sure you have emailed Mrs. Patty the list of those kids that completed their reading passage this past week so she can get their prize to them.
- Have you turned in your Hattie board from February? Several have been turned into my box, but I am still missing some. Please do so before the end of Monday.
- ACT Aspire Interim 3 Reading (timed 45 minutes) - make sure to remind kids of their goals
- Dr Howse schedule: second grade from 8:20 - 11:20. 3-5 math teachers will work with her from 12:00 - 3:00. Math teachers, subs will come to you at 11:30, so you can take your lunch at that time.
- SIT meets
- ACT Aspire Interim 3 Math (timed 45 minutes) - make sure to remind kids of their goals
- Team Meeting Day: see agenda that you all created at the end of last week's meeting.
- Guiding Coalition meets at 3:10 - 3:40
- ACT Aspire Interim 3 Science (timed 45 minutes) - make sure to remind kids of their goals
- Club Day 7:50 - 8:10
- Dismiss to class at 8:10 to take attendance and lunch count
- Spirit Day 8:30
- Seussical the Musical by 3rd grade at 9:30 (K-2 will be viewing it and pre-k if they would like.)
- Seussing at 10:00 and costume judging
- Volunteer readers at 10:15 will come to classrooms
- Recess meetings - more information to come
Important Dates (Refer to EES 2019- 20 Calendar shared by Mrs. Krogman)
March 9 - 5th grade parent BASH meeting 5:30
March 10 - Board Meeting 6 PM
March 11 - Team Meeting Day
March 12 - End of Third Nine Weeks / PTO Meeting
March 13 - Staff Meeting 7:40
March 16th week - Book Fair
March 16-17 Mrs. Bailey will be with us
March 17 - Math and Wellness Night 6 PM
March 18 - Team Meeting and Principal from Gravette Elementary to see our school and Guiding Coalition meets at 3:10
March 20 - Clubs/Awards Assembly
March 20th - Teacher Tailgate hosted by 4th grade and PTO
April 24th - Teacher Tailgate hosted by 5th grade and PTO
Thursday, April 2nd is Autism Awareness Day. A Google Form offering the purchase of a t-shirt to support Autism Awareness was shared last week. If you decide to purchase a t-shirt, you may wear them with jeans on April 2nd.
A Very Special Talent Show will be hosted in Greenbrier on April 25th for students with special needs from central and North Central Arkansas. Sign up to help: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yNjYirCv1TTiX9YNUx41KlRosUkkQmvvKnKvgbBnf00/edit?ts=5d89f3dc#gid=0
MARK YOUR CALENDARS! EASTSIDE BUILDING RETREAT AUGUST 5th - 6th
Words to Live By This Month
Character Word of the Month = Kindness
COMPUTER SCIENCE WORD = Loop