Space Race vs. Cold War
Major Events, Importance and Similarities
The Space Race
- space race: the competition between nations regarding achievements in the field of space exploration
- Space Race was competition in the 20th-Century between Cold War Rivals (Soviets and U.S.).
- Soviets began the space race by launching Sputnik, the first artificial Earth Satellite.
- In 1961 Kennedy began his efforts to catch up with the Soviets
- Although he was not alive to see it, in 1969 the first man, Neil Armstrong stepped foot on the moon
Space Race and Cold War Importance
- Space Race: We realized how behind we were in technology so the launch of Sputnik was a wake up call for the U.S. so we began regaining our pride by going to the moon.
- Cold War: The ending of World War II was known as the Cold War. The Cold War was important because it highlighted the conflicts between the Soviets and the U.S. and it also prevented us from going into World War III.