ACE Literacy Newsletter
Elementary Literacy | April 2019 YEAR 4: VOL. 5
In this Edition:
STAAR Prep: Transformation learning
Comprehension: Genre strategy tools
Instructional Resources: 6th Six Weeks Instructional Calendars
Celebrations: Ideas for motivating students
Preparing great readers
This month’s instructional focus is building engagement through transformation learning. Consider ways that you can create a memorable learning experience as you work with students to review STAAR aligned reading strategies.
Examples from ACE Campuses
Students Hard at Work
We Love Reading 'A Latte'
Genre Strategy Tools
As you work with students to answer comprehension questions, narrow in on the comprehension strategy that will help them solve the answer.
Hot off the press: 6th Six Weeks curriculum calendars
When reviewing these calendars, pay close attention to the genre for the week. Select a great mentor text in line with the genre for the week and practice the SE’s listed for each day with that model text. Also- use the STAAR aligned question stems in the document to write your DOLs and plan your questions during your lesson!
Rewards are a way to recognize achievement and celebrate success, progress, and events in students’ lives. The rewards should fit with the goals and mission of the school. Non-material, non-food rewards are powerful ways to recognize and celebrate students’ success.
- Pajama Day
- Crazy Hat Day (or hair, pants, shirt)
- Super Hero Day
- Beach Party
- Have class outside
- Have lunch outside
- Game of quiet ball
- Sit in the teacher’s chair/desk/podium for half a day
- Desk Buddy: move desk to sit by a friend x half a day, an hour, etc.
- Nature hike outside
- Indoor Scavenger Hunt
- Choose a __book___ for the class (or game, music, physical activity break)
- Read with a friend in a special area in the classroom
- Call, text or email the parent about the student’s success
- Announce student’s success over the morning announcements
- Post a certificate on the wall noting the student’s success
- Group game
- Walk and Talk with the principal