Ms. Kilar's Class News
Friday, February 5, 2016
We will be heading up to Kiwanis to sled at noon on Thursday, Feb. 11. While at Kiwanis the kids can have pizza, hot chocolate, cookies and sled. Students are encouraged to bring a sled to school that day, no snowboards please.
We will do our Valentine exchange when we get back to the classroom around 2pm. Students are asked to make Valentines and a Valentine box at home.
- Reading: This week our target skill was identifying the main ideas and supporting details in nonfiction texts.
- Writing: We continued working on our persuasive essays. Our focus was writing topic sentences and supporting details for the body paragraphs of the essay.
- Spelling: We reviewed changing the final y to an i.
- Grammar: This week we worked on irregular verbs.
This week students continued to work on long division. They learned how to use place value to determine the placement of the first digit in a quotient, and they practiced checking their quotients with multiplication. Students also used their long division skills to solve ‘real world’ word problems.
Science and Social Studies
- Science: This week we learned how energy is transferred by electrical currents. Students built simple circuits to see how electrical currents produce motion, sound, light, and heat.
- Social Studies. We focused on supply and demand this week. We also talked about how supply and demand influence a market economy. Students spent time working on posters and business cards for mini-society.
- Spelling: No spelling next week, review week
- Grammar: Front and back
- Math: Front and back
- As always you can continue to have your child practice reading comprehension and fluency using Raz-Kids and math skills on Moby Max.
- Homework is due on Feb. 11
- Start reading for Battle of the Books!
- Paper plates
- empty paper towel and tp rolls
- extra snacks for the classroom
- Feb. 11 - Sledding Party and Valentine exchange
- Feb. 12-15 - No school -Mid Winter break
- March 2-3 - Parent Teacher Conferences
- March 1-10 - Swimming in the afternoon
- March 11 - Mini-Society 9-10am
- Monday - Gym
- Tuesday - Music
- Wednesday - Library
- Thursday - Art/Gym
- Friday - No School
Battle of the Books
We kicked off our Battle of the Books reading challenge today. There is a letter in the Friday folder with more information. Your child should be coming home with a book to read for Battle of the Books this weekend. Students are required to read three of the eight title by the end of March.