VCR Lesson 5 Presentation
Fill in the Blink With the Most Appropriate Word From Lesson 5
During Passover, Jews eat matzah to remember when their ancestors were escaping Egypt and did not have time to wait for the ______ in their dough to rise before leaving their homes.
The Correct Answer
- a substance like yeast or a small amount of fermented dough that causes dough to expand or rise
- a lightening or enlivening influence
leaven (tr. v.)
- to provide a lightening influence
levis (L.) - light (in weight)
- fermentation agent
- barm (archaic)
No direct antonyms for first definition
Choose the Answer That Uses the Word in Bold-Faced Type Incorrectly
- John had something about him that leavend the spirits of everyone around him so that they were left feeling depressed.
- Once the leaven was added to the dough, all they had to do was wait for it to rise so that they could bake it into bread.
- The leaven made the rolls so big that one roll could feed three people.
- She admired for her unique leaven that made people feel much happier around her.
Number 1 uses leaven incorrectly because leaven means to provide a lightening influence instead of to depress.