4th Grade Gazette
Weekly Newsletter • April 4-8, 2016
What's New This Week
4th Grader Wins Doris Pennington Award 2016
Congratulations go to our own Sara Smith, in Ms. Pierce's class, who won the Doris Pennington Award 2016 for her essay, "Making a Difference." Sara read her speech on Thursday at the "School of Excellence" ceremony in front of her peers, teachers, administration, the Superintendent, and other honored guests. We are very proud of her!
To hear Sara's speech, click below.
Mrs. Anderson Returns!
Mrs. Anderson returned from maternity leave this week. Though her substitute, Mrs. Hincy did a fabulous job filling in while she was away, Mrs. Anderson's students were thrilled to see her on Tuesday morning after Spring Break!
(Shhh..don't tell but Ms. Pierce and Dr. Idio are pretty happy to have their fearless leader back too!)
Jamestown / Yorktown Field Trip Chaperone Drawing Form
The drawings to be a class chaperone for the Jamestown / Yorktown field trip scheduled for May 5th will be held next week on Tuesday, April 5th. If you are interested in chaperoning, please fill out the entry form included with your child's Friday Folder today and have him/her return to school by Tuesday morning next week.
Final Yearbook Sale
Yearbooks are now available for purchase online. www.ybpay.lifetouch.com
School Code: 10467416
Cost: $20.00 FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL
For an additional cost, you can choose to add upgrades to your child's yearbook, such as:
- Additional Autograph Page $1.00
- Current Events Insert $3.00
- Yearbook Stickys (removable stickers) $2.00 Gold Foil Name on Cover $5.00
Need an order form? Click on the link below.
Please contact Mrs. Anderson at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Next Week in Review
No Spelling or Monthly Poem this month!
Upcoming Important Dates & Events
- April 6th - S.T.E.A.M. Night - 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- April 11th - Admin/Parent Round Table Session @ 5 p.m.
- April 11th - PTO Board Meeting @ 6 p.m.
- April 11th - PTO General Meeting @ 7 p.m.
- April 15th - PTO Spirit Night
- April 15th - End of Third Grading Period
- April 18th - Teacher Work Day (No School for Students)
- April 19th -22nd -Scholastic Book Fair
- April 20th - Fosters Spirit Night
- April 23rd - PTO Spring Beautification Day 9 a.m. - Noon
- April 25th - Advisory Council Meeting @ 6 p.m.
- April 26th - Report Cards Sent Home
- April 28th - Take Your Child to Work Day
4th Grade SOL Test Dates
The test dates for the 2016 SOLs for 4th grade are as follows:
- Wednesday, May 11 - Part 1 at 12:30 p.m.
- Thursday, May 12 - Part 2 at 9:30 a.m.
- Friday, May 20th at 12:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 24th - Part 1 at 9:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, May 25th - Part 2 at 9:30 a.m.
Community Service Opportunity
Volunteer at the Miss Ability Pageant!
Pennington staff and families are teaming up to help support a charitable event in Manassas and we welcome your support. On Saturday, April 9, 2016, the Miss Ability Pageant will be held at Osbourn Park High School. This is a pageant for girls with special needs who are enrolled in Prince William County Schools. This will be our 5th pageant in Prince William County.
The pageant will showcase the talents, beauty, dreams, and abilities of young women who often spend more time in the shadows rather than in the spotlight. The goal of the Miss Ability Pageant is to help the contestants gain self-confidence, make new friends, and learn the importance of goal setting.
If you would like to volunteer to help at this event, please email Mrs. Notarantonio at firstname.lastname@example.org .