Westside Middle School
January 7, 2022
- No School Monday, January 17th - Teacher Inservice/Martin Luther King Day
New Hood Policy
Students were taught this expectation this week. We will begin practicing it on Monday and going live on Thursday, Jan 13th.
Hoods are not allowed to be worn in our building according to the Westside Community Schools Handbook. This is considered a safety issue, as it is extremely important for staff to be able to identify anyone in the building. We continue to have an issue with students not following this expectation therefore we will implement the following consequences for not having hoods off. Students will be given this information in Homeroom when we return from break. Since this will be pre-taught, students will not be given warnings upon implementation. When they have a hood on, they will immediately be issued a referral.
- 1 offense - referral and conversation with dean
- 2 offense - referral and conversation with dean
- 3 offense - referral and conversation with dean
- 4 offense - referral, conversation with dean and assign detention
- 5 offense - referral, conversation with dean and assign detention
- 6 offense - referral, conversation with dean, assign detention and parent meeting
- 7 offense - referral, conversation with dean, assign 2 detentions
- 8 offense - referral, conversation with dean, assign 2 detentions
- 9 offense- referral, conversation with dean, assign 2 detentions
- 10 offense - referral, conversation with dean and assign Wednesday or Saturday school
- 11+ - referral, conversation with dean and assign ISS with the possibility of OSS
Registration for Westside High School classes
This year, the WHS Course Planning Guide is available as a pdf. The link to download the course planning guide is https://drive.google.com/file/d/145echodqOOkxPDmtifJm4tUOzRxdeVGz/view?usp=sharing
Current 8th Graders - Open House for WHS
Join us for Westside High School 8th Grade Open House on January 25. All current 8th grade Westside students and all other prospective Westside High School students joining our district are welcome to attend WHS Open House Night at WHS.
General Information sessions every 30 minutes starting at 5:30 with the last session at 7:00 in the auditorium.
Topics included: Modular schedule, clubs, activities, etc.
Guided Tours every 15 minutes starting at 5:30.
Open to self guided tours 5:30-7:30.
Beginning in January, Westside Middle School will be utilizing a new behavior intervention on Saturday mornings. This will be used as an alternative to In-School-Suspension or Out-of-School Suspension. Students could be assigned Saturday School for Student Handbook infractions. It will be from 8am to 10am on Saturdays.
Next week 7th graders will have a lesson presented to them from WMS counselors about being an Upstander.
Both grades will continue to work on the t-shirt design contest from Student Council.
Need some volunteer hours? Check out these opportunities...
- Join the WMS Unified Sports Club (Email teacher sponsors email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information)
- Offer to help teachers with classroom/organizational tasks
- Help at the food pantry
- Write letters of appreciation to first responders in our community
- Write letters of appreciation to veterans
- Contact a nursing home to see if you can make holiday signs for residents' doors, write letters, play games, etc.
- Ring bells over the holidays (https://www.registertoring.com/)
- Share Omaha is great local resource - there's a "suitable for kids" section on the left
The attendance number is 402-408-8649 or 402-390-6464
Check out the attendance handouts below on the importance of attendance here at school.
WMS Bell Schedule
7th Grade Bell Schedule
Pd 1: 8:00-8:40
Pd 2: 8:43-9:23
Pd 3: 9:26-10:06
Pd 4: 10:09-10:49
Pd 5: (7th) 10:52-11:32
Pd 6: (7th) 11:35-12:15
Pd 8: 1:21-2:01
Pd 9: 2:04-2:44
Warrior Time 2:47-3:15
8th Grade Bell Schedule
Pd 1: 8:00-8:43
Pd 2: 8:46-9:26
Pd 3: 9:29-10:09
Pd 4: 10:12-10:52
Pd 6: (8th) 11:58-12:38
Pd 7: (8th) 12:41-1:21
Pd 8: 1:24-2:04
Pd 9: 2:07-2:47
This is a fast and easy way to help our building without fundraising. Watch this video to see how it works. https://youtu.be/WS2u4s1J63c
Below is a list of business that participate in TAGG. Remember to select Westside Middle School!!
Kim Eymann - Principal
Brian Stevens - Assistant Principal (He will handle all questions on Busing)
Dean for 8A & 7C
Jenni Allen - Assistant Principal & Director of Special Services
Dan Carlson - Dean & Athletic Director
Dean for 7A, 7B, & 8B
Corrie Philo - Dean for 7D, 8C, & 8D (Handles all questions on after school Library)