The Pine Bough
Pine River School Newsletter, November 2022
Dear Pine River School Families,
The first quarter of the 2022-2023 school year has gone by quickly, and it is already November! As we all reflect on the many things for which we are thankful, I want to take this opportunity to share a few of the things for which I am grateful. I am thankful for the students who come to school every day ready to learn. Their smiles, curiosity, and enthusiasm throughout the day provide a daily reminder of what is important and why we are here at school. I am thankful for the support of our Pine River parents in creating an outstanding partnership for our students. They provide a support that is vital to the success of our students. I am thankful for the teachers, secretaries, paraprofessionals, lunchroom aides, custodians, school social worker, school nurse, special education teacher consultant, academic interventionist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, and district administrators. These professionals genuinely care about student achievement and success, and they have the best interests of our students at heart. I am also grateful to our PTO. This group of dedicated parents and teachers consistently and enthusiastically contributes their time and creative energy to benefit our students.
Our Pine River Family is surrounded by dedicated and tireless individuals going above and beyond to make certain the needs of our students are met and that great things happen in our school. They all make a difference, and the students, in their own individual ways, benefit from those efforts.
Pine River families, I am especially grateful for you. You continue to share your amazing children with us and work as active partners in their education. I would like to wish all of you a happy, healthy, and relaxing Thanksgiving holiday.
Rachel Card, Principal
Picture Retake Day
Parent Teacher Conferences
Parent Teacher Conferences will be back in person this year. In order to schedule these conferences, we will be using the conference scheduling feature that can be found on Skyward Family Access. You must schedule conferences on a computer, not the Skyward app, and scheduling will be open on Friday, November 11th, at 4:00 p.m. and close on Thursday, November 17th, at 8:00 p.m. Our goal is to connect with all of our parents and guardians about their children's progress during Parent Teacher Conferences.
Monday, November 21: Conferences: 5:15-8:00 p.m.
Tuesday, November 22: Conferences: 1:00-4:00 p.m. & 5:15-8:00 p.m.
Parent Teacher Conference Scheduling in Skyward
Here is how to schedule a conference:
1. Log on to Skyward Family Access. (If you have forgotten your Skyward password, you can request to have your information emailed to you by clicking the “Forgot Password” link below the login.)
2. Choose your student.
3. Click the Conferences link on the left hand side. Click All Conferences to see all teachers for which you may schedule conferences.
4. To view the available times, choose Select a Time next to each teacher with which you wish to schedule a conference.
5. From the available times listed choose the date/time you want by clicking Select.
6. Confirm your time choice by reviewing the information and clicking Save.
7. Once you choose times, the space marked Status will begin to fill in with your choices. Repeat steps 2 through 5 to schedule conference times for additional students.
8. When you have finished making your appointments, click Print All Scheduled Conferences to keep a copy for your records.
If you make a mistake or your plans change, you can remove a time from the schedule. At any time prior to the reservation deadline, you can log back in:
● Click Teacher Conferences and click Unschedule in the View Scheduled Times window. It will ask you to confirm
● Click Save if you are sure you want to unschedule that time. (If you’re not seeing “Unschedule”, click the View Scheduled Times link next to the student’s name).● This will return the time slot back to the queue and allow you to select another time for that teacher.
Pine River Winter After School Enrichment Program
Our first official community event in over two years, Donuts with Grownups, was held on Friday, October 14th. We had an outstanding turnout with over 500 people attending! Thank you to all the families and staff who made this a successful and fun event!
Our Fall fundraiser, World’s Finest Chocolate, is coming to a close. It has been a huge success, with over 450 boxes being sold!! THANK YOU families!!! Prizes will be distributed in the next few weeks.
Scholastic Book Fair
Our Book Fair offers a cash-free payment option called eWallet. It’s a convenient digital account that your child can use for shopping at our Fair. Grandparents, friends, and others can contribute, too!
Families have the option to shop online at our school’s Virtual Book Fair. All orders ship directly to your home, and shipping is free for book orders over $25. Your online orders will also benefit our school.
Classes will browse on November 16. Then, students will have the opportunity to shop with their classes during their regular library times on either November 17 or 18. The Book Fair will also be open on November 22 and 23 during school hours and during Parent Teacher Conference hours for anyone who still needs to shop.
Visit our Book Fair homepage linked below to learn more and get started with eWallet and online shopping.
We are excited to celebrate our love of books together at the Book Fair!
The Golden Dustpan Award
For the month of October, Mrs. Gorski’s class earned this prestigious honor! Keep up the great work keeping your classrooms clean, Pioneers!
Positivity Project Resources for Families
The mission of The Positivity Project is to empower students to build positive relationships with others and be their best selves as individuals. Each week at Pine River, we focus on one of the 24 character strengths that everyone possesses. Through lessons presented daily by their teachers, our students learn to be more self aware and self confident in the content of their own character. In addition, they learn to understand and appreciate these character traits in others. Together, we are building meaningful relationships and connections with one another that are essential for learning and growing.
Below is a link to resources to help our families support The Positivity Project at home.
Skyward Family Access
Pioneers of the Month
All of our students strive to be motivated learners, as well as model citizens. Each month we will honor students from each class who exemplify the following qualities:
- Student prepares for classroom activities.
- Student approaches learning with enthusiasm.
- Student has made steady progress in the classroom.
- Student has been working to his/her potential.
- Student completes all assignments and homework.
- Student has a good work ethic and is diligent.
Leadership/ Citizenship/ Character
- Student demonstrates respect of self and others.
- Student assists others in need.
- Student shows acts of kindness.
- Student demonstrates a positive attitude.
- Student displays good conduct.
- Student is a positive role model by example.
- Student participates and puts forth full effort in all areas.
- Student follows school rules.
Mrs. Guzowski's Class: Lyla Teague
Ms. Brosky's Class: Levi Adams and Sutton Thoel
Mrs. Malburg's Class: Carlo Malburg and Reese Mitchell
Mrs. Schneider's Class: Kamden Jobe and Jamie Askew
Mrs. Bean's Class: Greta Franks and North Hill
Mrs. Jensen's Class: George Cottrell and Ellie McCabe
Mrs. Trudeau's Class: Iris Adams and Markus Bailey
Mrs. Gorski's Class: Josie Dennison and Hazel Snell
Mrs. Kenyon's Class: Luke Marsh and Kate Galliker
Mrs. McNeill's Class: Sophia Groce and Trace Vandiver
Ms. Dewey's Class: Henry Barton and Sophia Bailey
Mrs. Dodge's Class: Dillon Phelps and Lena Volz
Mrs. Wahl's Class: Emilia Gander and Felix Oleaga
Mrs. Huston's Class: Harrison Liniarski and Reagan Hollerbach
Ms. Jakiel's Class: Owen Sullivan and Emma Vernier
Mrs. Ursitti's Class: Owen Culloty and Alaina Parrotta
Mrs. Kierszykowski's Class: Holden Valdez
Pioneers of the Month will be honored at our STARS assembly on Friday, October 28th, at 2:45 p.m. in the gym. Parents of those students being recognized are welcome to attend. Please check in at the office first.
Mission: The mission of the Pine River school community is to work collaboratively, providing an enriched curriculum that allows for intellectual, social, emotional, physical, and creative growth in a positive and safe environment, empowering all children to become productive lifelong learners.
Vision: Pine River Elementary is dedicated to the belief that all students can learn and achieve through the combined efforts of the staff, parents, students, and community.