Gifted, Grade 5
with Mr. Horak (February 8-12)
The 5th grade gifted classes are beginning a new communication system to help parents start academic conversations with their children. We will begin sending home our learning goals for the week, to help parents talk about what we did for the day and week. This means no more “What did you do today?” with the response of “nothing much” or “I don’t remember.”
1. The American Revolution
2. Conflicts Grow Between the Colonies and Britain
3. The War Begins
4. The Battle of Bunker hill
-Cause and Effect
GHOSTS OF THE PAST
Who was Virginia Dare?
1. How Do I Support a Hypothesis or Theory for Presentations and Essays?
2. REVIEW: How Do I Cite Accurately?
3. Write a summary with citing "THE LOST COLONY"
4. Greek and Latin Root Words
OPINION WRITING PRACTICE ASSESSMENT
-Linking numerous articles
-Review citing text evidence (Yes Again).
1. Divide Fractions with Whole Numbers
2. PROBLEM SOLVING: Use Multiplication
3. MID CHAPTER CHECK POINT and REVIEW
4. Connect Fractions and Division
5. Fractions and Whole Number Division
6. Students begin using TENMARK'S Math
7. Students review decimal skills
8. GRAB AND GO MATH
END OF CHAPTER REVIEW......
1. STEM TIMELINE ASSIGNMENTS DUE.
2. Students work through STEM packet
3. Students complete their experiment
4. Collect data
5. Record Information
STEM FAIR HAS WEEKLY COMPLETION DATES, FOUND ON THE STEM TIMELINE.
Valentine's Card Exchange
In addition, we will also be having our annual Valentine's Day Mailbox competition. Students are encouraged to create new and unique mailboxes and compete in our in-class competition.
The Lost Colony, a Socratic Circle
As we begin...
Students discuss and analyze theories and evidence.
Small Group Collaboration
Students ask, and respond...
Following the guidelines
Students actively listen and share thoughts!
WELCOME TO REMIND!
This afternoon I have sent home a flyer with your young scholar that will help you connect with me via REMIND using your phone and simple text messaging.
Please follow the quick and simple instructions.
Our Scholar of the Week is....
Elsa shared with me that she really enjoys dance, drawing, and writing books. She is one AWESOME artist (just ask her to see her sketch book)! One could say that Elsa enjoys all the arts. At school, Elsa enjoys reading the "Warriors" series and completing our many enrichments.
Elsa also enjoys family time. She enjoys watching movies and going to the beach to ride jet skis with her family.
Elsa wants to attend USF and become a writer or artist when she grows up! Thank you Elsa for being our scholar of the week!