GCCSD News and Updates - June 2023
Joy, Gratitude and Pride 🏳️🌈
Dear Gates Chili School Community,
As we prepare to bid farewell to another memorable school year, it is with great joy and gratitude that I share our final e-newsletter of the school year. With summer just around the corner, this is an ideal time to reflect on our collective achievements, embrace the spirit of Pride Month and reaffirm our commitment to fostering an inclusive and supportive school environment.
This year, we have seen incredible accomplishments and growth in our students. From academic milestones to artistic accolades, athletic victories to community service contributions, each success story serves as a testament to the remarkable potential and strength within our school community. We extend our warmest congratulations to all students and staff who have worked tirelessly to accomplish their goals. Your commitment to excellence is truly inspiring!
At Gates Chili, we firmly believe that every student deserves a supportive and inclusive educational experience. June marks an important occasion for us to recognize and celebrate Pride Month. We proudly stand alongside our LGBTQIA+ students, staff, and families, reaffirming our commitment to creating a school culture where everyone feels safe, valued, and embraced as their authentic selves.
As a symbol of this commitment, we are proud to debut a special GC logo. The design pays homage to the Progress Pride flag, which was developed in 2018 by American artist and designer Daniel Quasar. Based on the iconic rainbow flag from 1978, the redesign celebrates the diversity of the LGBTQIA+ community and calls for a more inclusive society. We invite you to join us in fostering a nurturing environment where diversity is celebrated and everyone's voice is heard. This logo is now available as part of a new desktop wallpaper (out-of-district devices only) and phone wallpaper available for download.
Finally, please take a moment to review the important information below, including an update to the last day of school for students. Also be sure to mark your calendars for the many upcoming events and celebrations that celebrate our students' remarkable accomplishments. Your presence and support mean the world to them, and your attendance at these events is a testament to the vibrant spirit of our school community. We look forward to seeing you at these inspiring events and ceremonies throughout the month of June.
Christopher J. Dailey
Superintendent of Schools
✨ Check out these Spartans in action ✨
A healthy, happy summer ahead for Dragons!
Sunscreen, life jackets, fire escape plans, solving disagreements; these are just some of the topics Disney kindergarteners explored at the Summer Safety Celebration. They even got a look inside a real ambulance and fire truck!
History-making gymnast visits Armstrong
Last week, Armstrong Stars welcomed a very special visitor: Fisk University gymnast Naimah Muhammad! The Rochester native is the first gymnast ever to compete for a historically Black college or university in North America.
Panthers celebrate a wonderful year in ENL!
Paul Road ENL Panthers and their families gathered at the school for a year-end celebration. Congratulations to these students for all their hard work this school year!
Sensory swim success
Some middle school students are flexing their increased independence, flexibility and verbal communication skills thanks to a unique opportunity in the high school pool. Students are also learning important water safety lessons.
Hard work pays off
Dozens of students were recognized during this year's High School Awards Ceremony on May 18. In addition to recognition for academic and athletic achievements, students received prizes and scholarships totaling nearly $350,000!
Art for all ages!
One of Continuing Education's newest courses combines paints and pets! It's taught by GCMS art teacher Mrs. Manou. Register for Continuing Education courses at gateschili.org/ContinuingEd.
A 'malum aureum' for HS Latin teacher
GCHS Latin teacher Jeanne Quagliata became a Golden Apple Award winner this May! She was honored by WROC-TV for her hard work in maintaining the Latin program in the district. Watch the story at this link.
Updated last day of school for students 😎
- Elementary: The last day of school for elementary students will be on Wednesday, June 21. Please note that this will be a half day for students in grades K-5.
- Middle School: The last full day of school for middle school students will be Thursday, June 15. Please note that Friday, June 16 and Tuesday, June 20 will be half days for these students.
- High School: The last full day of school for high school students will be Tuesday, June 13. Please note that exams will continue through June 21.
Note these other events and dates 🗓️
As we make our way through the "busy" season, be sure to check the district
website for the most up-to-date dates, times and locations for all events.
- June 1: MS Awards Night, 6:30 p.m., GCPAC
- June 4: HS Senior Recital and Music Banquet, 7 p.m., GCPAC
- June 6: BOE Meeting, 6:30 p.m., GCPLC
- June 6: MS Spring Chorus Concert, 7 p.m., GCPAC
- June 7: Annual Sam Utter Fifth-Grade Track & Field Meet, Spartan Stadium
- June 7: MS Gr. 7-8 Band and Jazz Band Concert, 7 p.m., GCPAC
- June 8: MS Gr. 6 Band Concert, 7 p.m., GCPAC
- June 12: MS NJHS Ceremony, 6:30 p.m., GCPAC
- June 13: Last full day for students in gr. 9-12; see HS communication for exam details
- June 13: MS Gr. 8 Trip
- June 14: WEMOCO CTE 2023 Recognition Ceremony, 7:15 p.m., Spartan Stadium
- June 16: GC Pride Day
- June 16: NA Gr. 5 Completion Ceremony, 2 p.m., GCPAC
- June 16: MS. Gr. 8 Dance, 7-9 p.m., MS Cafe
- June 16: Half day for students in gr. 6-8
- June 19: Juneteenth - District Closed
- June 20: Half day for students in gr. 6-8
- June 20: WD Gr. 5 Completion Ceremony, 9:15 a.m., GCPAC
- June 20: FB Awards Ceremony, 1:30 p.m., GCPAC
- June 20: BOE Meeting, 6:30 p.m., GCPLC
- June 21: Half day for students in gr. K-5
- June 21: PR Gr. 5 Completion Ceremony, 9:30 a.m., GCPAC
- June 22: Class of 2023 Commencement Ceremony, 5 p.m., GC Field House
- June 23: Last day of school for 10-month staff
Save the date for our Support Staff Job Fair on July 12!
A new permanent home for graduation 🎓
Later this month, hundreds of current Gates Chili students will become Gates Chili alumni at a ceremony on their home court. The ceremony will take place on Thursday, June 22 at 5 p.m. in its new permanent location, the Gates Chili Field House. The ceremony will also be streamed live at gateschili.org/GradLive and in the Gates Chili Performing Arts Center (GCPAC).
Spartan Eats: Free meals for the summer 😎
Gates Chili is proud to once again host the USDA Summer Meals Program this summer!
Any child 18 years old and younger can enjoy a free lunch in the Gates Chili Middle School cafeteria this summer beginning Wednesday, July 5 through Friday, Aug. 11. Breakfast will be served on weekdays from 8-8:30 a.m. and lunch will be served from 12-1 p.m. Adult meals and snacks will also be available for purchase.
Check out more information and menus in mid-June at gateschili.org/SchoolNutrition.
New hours for the Gates Chili Food Pantry 🥫
The Gates Chili Food Pantry is now operating under new hours. The food pantry, supported in partnership with Gates Chili Community Connections, is located at Gates Chili High School and will be open once a week each month.
From now through June 30, 2023, the Gates Chili Food Pantry will be open every Wednesday from 3:30-4:30 p.m. or by appointment.
Typical in-stock items include non-perishable food, coats and clothing and birthday boxes to help celebrate special days. At times, there may be personal care items and cleaning supplies available.
Families in need of this resource should come to Gates Chili High School and enter through door #1 (the main entrance near the bus loop). If you have questions, need assistance or would like to make an appointment, reach out to Angelina Pound at email@example.com.
Join our award-winning team today 💻
Gates Chili is seeking qualified candidates for the following positions. Click the button below to apply or share the opportunity with someone you know!
- Job ID 878: Science Teacher - Earth Science/General Science
- Job ID 703: Technology Teacher
- Job ID 880: Licensed Practical Nurse (2023-24 school year)
- Job ID 854: Summer Facilities Help (temporary)
- Job ID 725: Cleaner
- Job ID 877: Head Custodian
- Job ID 789: Lifeguard
- Job ID 747: Teacher Aide - School Aide
- Job ID 728: Hall Monitor/Cafeteria Monitor (Part-time)
- Job ID 750: Bus Attendant
- Job ID 749: Bus Driver
- Job ID 723: Substitute Support Staff
- Job ID 724: Substitute Teacher*
- Job ID 871: Building Substitute Teacher (2023-24 school year)
*The Gates Chili Board of Education recently approved new,
increased rates for instructional substitutes. Click here for details.
Click the image below to meet our newest Spartans!
The Gates Chili Central School District is dedicated to fostering curiosity, growth, and diversity within our school community. The district celebrates and embraces differences and strives to dismantle exclusion, bias, racism, and prejudice of all forms.