The Weekly Buzz
A Weekly Newsletter from Corner Middle School
Volume 3, Number 22: December 5, 2021
Sandi Davis Selected as 2022 CMS Teacher of the Year
Congratulations to Mrs. Sandi Davis, our Speech Language Pathologist at Corner Middle School on being selected as the 2022 CMS Teacher of the Year! Mrs. Davis works with students at CMS and CHS, sponsors our school’s First Priority group, and serves as a mentor to teachers in our school, as well as student teachers who are working to enter the profession.
Colleagues who nominated Mrs. Davis said some of the following things as part of the nomination process:
- "Sandi is caring and goes above and beyond for each and every student. She strives to always do what is best for the students. I cannot think of anyone who embodies teacher of the year more than Sandi."
- "She is always very professional and knowledgeable and does a great job working with her students."
- "Sandy is an excellent example of a dedicated teacher. She puts her students first, and works hard to accommodate their needs. I feel that she is deserving of the recognition of Teacher of the Year."
- Mrs. Davis works very hard to meet the needs of the kids she serves. She helps students who come through CMS and continues helping them when they move to CHS. She mentors others and is always available to help!"
We are so blessed that she is a part of our school family! Thank you, Mrs. Davis, for all that you do for the students, faculty, and staff at Corner Middle School!
CMS Band Performs Winter Concert Tuesday Night
- Concert Time/Date: Tuesday, December 7th at 7:00 p.m.
- Concert Location: High School Auditorium (go in through the bandroom)
- All students will stay for the entire concert and sit down front with their performing group.
- Please be respectful and supportive of our students. They have all worked very hard to get ready for this performance.
- All cases need to be left in the car or in the band room along the wall or lockers
- Tubas, baritones, boomwhackers, and percussion: Mrs. Saunders will take your instruments to and from the high school. Please leave your instrument by the double doors in the band room at the end of class on Concert Day. After the concert, please leave your instruments by the double doors at the back of the band room. If you can stay after the concert to help pack and load, that would be greatly appreciated.
- Mrs. Saunders will collect all music folders at the end of class on Concert Day and take them to the High School. The crate of music folders will be located at the front of the CHS Bandroom.
- Please park in the teacher lot near the green house or the student lot at the front of the school. I am trying to get some shuttle drivers to help you get to and from the bandroom.
- EVERYONE MUST ENTER THROUGH THE BAND ROOM
Parents - Can you please help watch kids at the concert? It should be a very easy job! Please CLICK HERE to sign up.
- Stage Set up (1 person) 2:00-3:00: Help set up chairs/stands on stage, reserve seats, etc.
- Shuttle Golf Carts/Drivers (10) 5:30-8:30: Use a vehicle provided by you to shuttle concert attendees between the CHS Bandroom and teacher/student parking lots before and after the concert-you will still be able to see the concert!
- Backstage Chaperones (5) 5:45-6:50: Ensure students are behaving and moving efficiently.
- Bandroom Chaperones (5) 5:45-7:00: Direct concert attendees to auditorium, ensure students place cases on walls and are behaving while they wait.
- Hallway/Lobby Chaperones (5) 5:45-7:00: Direct students and concert attendees to auditorium and ensure students are behaving and moving efficiently.
- Program Distribution (2) 6:30-7:00: Pass out programs and welcome folks to the concert.
- Auditorium Chaperones (15) 6:45-8:00: Sit in reserved seat up front with the performing groups who are not on stage.
- 6:00: Arrive, use the restroom, get your instrument and music out and wait in the band room until warm up time. Do not play your instrument, please.
- 6:35-6:50: Roll call, Warm up (YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO LEAVE THE AUDITORIUM FOR ANY REASON AFTER THIS TIME)
- 7:00 performance
- Attire: Super Awesome Band Shirt, long blue jeans, and closed toe shoes
6th Grade Music
- 6:00-6:15: Arrive, use the restroom, get your instrument and music out and wait in the band room until warm up time. Do not play your instrument, please.
- 6:15-6:35: Roll call, finding places, run through, etc.(YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO LEAVE THE AUDITORIUM FOR ANY REASON AFTER THIS TIME)
- 6:35-6:45: Put up instruments, go back to the bandroom, quick bathroom break, line up to move to auditorium assigned seats
- 6:50: Go to assigned seats in auditorium
- 7:00 performance
- Attire: Look nice and be in dress code. Long pants/dress/skirt that comes at least to mid calf when seated, nice top with sleeves, and closed toe shoes. No tennis shoes, jeans, or shorts please. Remember, we are sitting on the floor and leaning over to play boomwhackers, so plan your outfit accordingly.
- 6:00-6:15: Roll Call, warm up
- 6:15-6:45: Restroom break, line up and go to the auditorium (YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO LEAVE THE AUDITORIUM FOR ANY REASON AFTER THIS TIME)
- 6:50: Go to assigned seats in auditorium
- 7:00 performance
- Attire: Long black pants/skirt that comes at least to mid calf when seated, white button down, and solid black closed toe shoes. Mrs. Saunders will provide a black bow tie.
We look forward to seeing everyone at the CMS Band Winter Concert!
CMS Baseball Preps for 2022 Season
Max ThomasTitan Walker
We are proud of all of the young men who tried out for the team this year. Families should be looking for information on a team meeting coming up prior to the holidays. A tentative schedule for the season can be found below. Please remember that ALL spring schedules are subject to change due to inclement weather, field availability, COVID restrictions, or other unforeseen circumstances.
Coaches Release Schedule for 2022 CMS Softball Season
CMS Calendar for the Week of December 6, 2021 - December 12, 2021
Monday, December 6, 2021
- Principals WebEx Training on Signature Academies 1:00
- 5th and 6th Grade Math Team Practice
- 5th and 6th Grade Science Olympiad Practice
- Robotics Practice (Falcons and DIH Team)
- Sumiton Christian at CMS Basketball 4:30 / 6:00
- CHS Basketball (9th Grade) at Dora 4:30
- CHS Basketball at Sumiton Christian 4:30 / 6:00 / 7:30
Tuesday, December 7, 2021
- CMS Yearbook Photography Staff Meeting 7:30 in Mrs. Little's Room
- PBIS WebEx Meeting 8:00 - 3:00
- Principals PowerSchool WebEx Training 8:30
- Principals Meeting at COB 1:00 - 3:00
- 7th and 8th Grade Math Team Practice
- Robotics Practice (C4 and Warbots)
- CMS Future Problem Solvers Practice
- Hayden at CMS Basketball 4:30 / 6:00 / 7:30
- CHS Bowling at Cullman vs. Priceville and West Point 4:00
- CHS Wrestling at Mortimer Jordan Duals 4:00
- Mortimer Jordan at CHS Basketball 3:30 / 4:30 / 6:00 / 7:30
- CHS Varsity Cheerleading at AHSAA State Competition 6:00
- CMS Band Winter Concert at Corner High Auditorium 7:00
Wednesday, December 8, 2021
- Classroom Guidance in 7th Grade Classrooms
- Jacket Period Schedule - PATH Advisory Lesson (Scheduled for 12/1)
- CMS Basketball Practice
- Fairview and St. Bernard vs. CHS Bowling at Super Bowl 4:00
- CMS Debate Practice 3:00
Thursday, December 9, 2021
- CMS Yearbook Design Staff Meeting 7:30 in Mrs. Little's Classroom
- Classroom Guidance in 8th Grade Classrooms
- 8th Grade Meeting with Corner High School in Competition Gym 2:00
- CMS Basketball at Hanceville 4:30 / 5:30 / 7:00
- CHS Wrestling at Corner Duals (at CHS) 5:00
- CHS Bowling at Hartselle vs. Priceville and Fairview 4:30
Friday, December 10, 2021
- Social Skills 101 in 6th Grade Classrooms
- CHS Basketball at Cordova 4:30 / 5:30 / 7:00
Saturday, December 11, 2021
- Relax, Be Productive at Home, and Enjoy the Weekend
- CHS Indoor Track at Crossplex Meet
- CHS Wrestling at Yellow Jacket Duals (at CHS) 8:00
Sunday, December 12, 2021
- Enjoy Your Day Worshiping, Relaxing, and/or Having Fun with Family and Friends!
Looking Ahead to Important School Dates
December 14, 2021 CMS Robotics (7/8) at North Jefferson League Tournament
December 14, 2021 Oak Grove at CMS Basketball 5:00 / 6:30
December 14, 2021 CHS Wrestling at Corner Duals (@ CHS)
December 14, 2021 CHS Basketball at Center Point 3:30 / 4:30 / 5:30 / 7:00
December 14, 2021 CHS Band Winter Concert at CHS
December 16. 2021 CMS Robotics (5/6) at North Jefferson League Tournament
December 16, 2021 CHS Wrestling at Hartselle Duals (@ HHS)
December 16, 2021 Dora at CHS Basketball 3:30 / 4:30 / 5:30 / 7:00
December 17, 2021 Last Day of the First Semester
December 17, 2021 CHS Wrestling at Center Point Invitational (@ CPHS)
December 18, 2021 CHS Wrestling at Oak Grove Invitational (@ OGHS)
December 18-21, 2021 Green Top Holiday Classic at CHS (Varsity Boys)
December 20, 2021 Winter Break Begins for CMS Students and Staff
December 20-21, 2021 CMS Boys Basketball at North Jefferson Tournament
December 21, 2021 CHS Wrestling at St. Clair County Duals (@ SCCHS)
Corner Middle School
Corner Middle School is committed to empowering our students as they build a foundation for college, career, and community success in a nurturing environment.
Our vision at Corner Middle School is to ensure our students are academically, emotionally, and socially prepared for challenges they may encounter in the next phases of their lives.
Corner Middle School believes we will accomplish our Mission and Vision in serving our community of learners by:
- Loving, encouraging, and inspiring our students and each other in our daily interactions.
- Utilizing highly-effective instruction and a challenging curriculum.
- Meeting the needs of diverse learners in order to prepare them for college and entry into a career pathway.
- Partnering with the community.
- Cultivating student leaders.
- Integrating technology into all areas of learning.