School Community Newsletter - 11/15/20
Dear Thomas Middle School Community,
We hope this newsletter finds your family safe and healthy. It's been a busy couple of weeks at TMS. As we move into this last week before Thanksgiving break, we hope you'll join us for our November Zoom PTA meeting on Tuesday at 7 pm. We also look forward to meeting with families during the Parent/Teacher conference this week Thursday and Friday.
In Dr. Bein's November 13th email details were shared regarding the next steps in District 25. Here's a quick summary of the letter:
- The deadline for Switching Your Choice on your child's enrollment from remote to hybrid or hybrid to remote is Tuesday, November 17th @ 5 pm.
- ONLY complete this form if you plan to make a switch.
- This NEW selection will be in effect from Monday, November 30, 2020, through Friday, January 15, 2021.
In closing, we are grateful for your continued patience as we strive to support our students, remote and in-person. We feel the pressure to provide equal and adequate instruction to both sets of students while keeping safety and connection as our top priorities. This task is incredibly challenging and the mental, physical, and emotional fatigue that this is causing is palpable. Please know that TMS staff continue to rise to the challenge and put forth incredible effort each day. We promise you, we are trying our best! We are able to do this because we feel supported by our TMS Community. As we move into the 2nd quarter, we are carefully reviewing student engagement, attendance, MAP data, 1st quarter grades, and student progress. In addition, tomorrow your children will be given an opportunity to share their 1st quarter reflections with us via our 1st Quarter Student Exit Slip. We look forward to reviewing that information as well.
Take care, be well, and as always, thank you for your partnership!
~ Lori, Greg, & Nick
NEW ITEMS IN THIS NEWSLETTER:
- Congratulations TMS students accepted into the ILMEA Honor Band!
- Battle of the Books - See below for more info
- Student 1st Quarter Exit Slip - Monday, 11/16/20 Students are asked to complete this form during the 2-2:45 PM time when they are working on Thrively activities.
- Distance Learning for Thomas Families - This presentation is posted on TMS website
Strategies for Parents (Link Together Zoom Session) - Wednesday, 11/18/20 @ 5-5:45 PM (Free session -sign-up not required)
- How To Overcome the Challenges of Distance Learning (Free public session w/sign-up
'Tis The Season of Giving (and Eating):
Adopt-A-Family Student Council - Portillo's Fundraiser on November 17th @5:00- 8:00 PM
Adopt-A-Family Student Council - Chipotle Fundraiser on December 2nd
- TMS LMC Fundraiser - Lou's Pizza Sales - Now through December 4th
- PTA ZOOM Meeting - Tuesday, 11/17/20 @7PM - RSVP here
- PTA Spirit Wear Pick-Up - Tuesday, 11/17/20 @ 3-5 PM - Please come to the main entrance and pick-up your spirit wear at the Book Cart. A staff member will be there until 5 PM.
- Parent-Teacher Conference (NON-STUDENT ATTENDANCE DAYS) - Thursday, November 19th & Friday, November 20th (Click here to sign-up) *Please remember to have your child attend these sessions with you.
- MAP REPORTS: These will go home in backpacks and via mail on December 3rd & 4th.
- 6th Grade Creative Arts Hexter 3 begins on December 3rd.
Congratulations to our Thomas Band students who worked hard to audition, and were accepted into the ILMEA Honor Band! This is usually a live event filled with rehearsals and masterclasses, culminating in a concert at the end of a long, music-filled day. During these restricted times, however, the festival was held virtually. We are so proud of our students and wish them well on the special online musical experiences ILMEA planned for them.
Battle of the Books is Back at TMS!
Interested students are encouraged to:
1. sign up using this link
2. Join the Battle of the Books Schoology Group
Using this code: 22XR-PTMW-NSKR7Students are invited to sign up with friends to create a team or as individuals (we'll help create teams!). The ideal team size is 4-7 but that is flexible!
This will be a remote club opportunity for ALL students - Join us! Is it fun!
After we duke it out here at TMS, we will bring our top teams to a District-level competition to battle the top teams from South Middle School.
STUDENT COUNCIL ADOPT-A-FAMILY HOLIDAY FUNDRAISING
It is November, and that means that Student Council is starting it's fundraising efforts for the Village of Arlington Heights' Adopt-A-Family program. This program works to help families in need in Arlington Heights during the holiday season. There are many ways to get involved:
1) Portillo's Fundraiser on Nov. 17th.
2) Chipotle Fundraiser on Dec. 2nd.
3) Donate a gift card through the TMS Adopt-A-Family Sign Up Genius
Please reach out to Ms. Wharton (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
HOW TO GET YOUR LOU'S PIZZA COUPONS ORDERS?
The pizza coupons are super easy to order...CLICK HERE for the online "school store". All orders are credit card orders.
PIZZA COUPON DISTRIBUTION:
Hybrid Students: Coupons will be delivered to students in homeroom.
Remote Students: A curbside pick up timeframe will be available - stay tuned for details.
Do you have questions for the PTA? Email the PTA at: email@example.com
2020-2021 PTA Officers:
President: Lucy Block
President-Elect: Amy Hoffman
Vice President: Melissa Teuscher
Treasurer: Suzanne Krause
Secretary: Lisa Ulyrich
Future Meeting Dates:
* November 17 * January 13 * February 17 * March 18 * April 20 * May 19
Link to the TMS PTA Website
Questions regarding Spiritwear? Please contact:
Stephanie Notaro - firstname.lastname@example.org
Stephanie Gries - email@example.com f
Directory Spot: Shannon Hull is the TMS Directory Spot Chairperson. Please email ThomasPTADirectory@gmail.com for changes or access issues.
TRAFFIC SAFETY ALERT
- U-turns are NOT permitted on Belmont Avenue - this is extremely dangerous!
- Stay in the drop-off line - please do NOT exit the line early by going around the car in front of you. The line is likely moving slowly because of traffic at the parking lot entrance.
- Parking or pulling into our Belmont Avenue parking lot is NOT permitted unless you have a specialized pick-up or a TMS parking permit.
- Students crossing Belmont Avenue are only permitted to do so at the corner crosswalks at Thomas Street and at Olive Street. Please encourage your child to use the crosswalks.
- Student drop-off from cars heading northbound on Belmont Avenue is NOT permitted.
STUDENT ATTENDANCE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH CLASS!
ATTENDANCE: Attendance is taken each period. Click here for details on reporting absences.
Is Your HYBRID Student Staying REMOTE For A Day?
If your child is a hybrid student BUT he or she needs to stay home for a day, PLEASE CONTACT THE OFFICE AND REPORT THIS!
It is important that our parent community stays informed, especially as conditions surrounding the coronavirus pandemic continues to change. Information about COVID-19 and how it impacts District 25’s school plans for 2020-2021 is fluid and therefore will be continually evaluated and updated in accordance with local, state, and federal guidelines.