Mrs. Nelson's 1st Grade News!
Week of November 30th
I hope everyone had a wonderful break and enjoyed some much needed family time! I had a house full of people, but it was a ton of fun. We also took family pictures, so I thought I would share one I received as a little sneak peek, just for fun! :) There are some important things coming up so please read below to make sure you are up to date on everything!
Important Notes For This Week!
Below are some of the most important things for you to keep in mind this week!
- Your child brought home a note about a home project of decorating an ornament today. I have gone over this with the kiddos, but please read the note over yourself. I also sent the ornament paper as well. This is a fun activity to do at home that we will then use to decorate our classroom and hallway! This is due no later than Monday, December 7, 2015.
- Breakfast with Santa is this Saturday. There should be a green note in your child's folder with more information on this.
- More information will come, but put the evening of December 8th on your calendar for the 1st Grade Music Program.
- Please sign and return report cards if you have not already done so. I will be sending out reminders later this week if I do not have yours. Thank you to those of you who already returned them!
- I will be sending a new reading log and behavior calendar home tomorrow in your child's folder. I know you didn't have an up to date reading log for over the break, please just pick up tomorrow. :) Please remember to help your child keep up with and record their 100 weekly reading minutes in their folder! Remember they can read the baggy book they bring home every day as well as any other reading material. Reading to them counts as well!
-Folders: Please remember to sign folders nightly. :)
-"Graded Work"- Please look through your child's folder nightly and discuss any work that does come home. We are now at the point of writing at least 3 solid complete sentences. We are focusing on a topic sentence, detail, and then a closing/ending. If there is a paper marked "unfinished", please discuss using working time wisely. :) You will also notice some work with the stamp "corrected" on it. If you see this, it was discussed and then given back to your child to try again. If the content is still incorrect, please take this opportunity to discuss the work with your child. :)
- As we begin to enter November now, we are really focusing on improving our behavior at school since our stamina is also improving. Please remember to discuss any behavior notes, etc. that you see come home with your kiddos. I always appreciate your support!
What Are We Learning?
- identifying and reading high frequency words
- decoding words
- forming letters (handwriting)
- writing legibly
- matching sounds to letters
- story comprehension, story structure, and retelling a story (beginning, middle, and end), summarizing, main idea, author's purpose, retelling, and plot! We are also starting to talk about making predictions as we read.
- diagraphs (th, ch, sh, wh)
- review of long and short vowel sounds (a, i, o, and u).
- verbs (present tense)
- 2D and 3D shapes and their attributes
- geometric language/vocabulary
- addition and subtraction word problems (identifying what type of problem it is)
- constructing a calendar
- seasons of the year
- introduction of lunar phases
You will notice these overlap a little, that is for a reason. :) We are also focusing on the diagraphs (th, ch, wh, sh)
Sight Words: (Please add these to the baggy for continued practice. :)