The Central Scoop
April 30, 2021
From the Principal's Desk...
Dear Central Families,
One Book, One District invites the entire D39 community to unite as readers and learners. The One Book selection, Outside, Inside by LeUyen Pham will provide readers of all ages opportunities to engage with the text and pictures in a multitude of ways.
Monday, May 3rd kicks off the D39 One Book One District event! Be sure to enjoy reading the book, Outside, Inside, on the Story Walk set up at each school.
On Tuesday, May 4th, enjoy the virtual author visit with author/artist LeUyen Pham at 6:30pm. Here is the link for the Zoom Webinar.
Information for families about the One Book One District program is included on this website. In addition to information on the book, it includes extension activities that can be enjoyed by families.
We would like to thank the D39 Educational Foundation and the PTOs/PTAs for their support of this program for the whole D39 community!
With Warm Regards,
~ Becky & Taylor
Staff Appreciation Week!
Spirit Day Fun!
D39 Updates for April 30th
Board of Education Meeting on Monday
The D39 Board of Education held its regular monthly meeting on Tuesday, April 27. Materials and a video recording of the meeting are available online. During its meeting, the Board received committee updates and administrative reports, including a review of Summer School Programming, Metrics Team, SafeGuard Screening, and D39 Strategic Planning Process. The Board approved an extension of the District’s SafeGuard Screening Program through the end of the school year. The Board also conducted its Reorganization Meeting, recognizing its outgoing Board Members, Mark Steen and Ellen Sternweiller, and swearing into office its new Board Members, Anne Hart and Bonnie Kim.
The District 39 Core Strategic Planning Team conducted two of three meetings as part of its Data Retreat work this week. Information regarding the D39 Strategic Planning Process, including resources and presentations, is posted to this site and regularly updated.
SafeGuard Screening has been expanded through the end of the 2020-2021 school year. SafeGuard provides weekly screening to help to identify and isolate Covid-19 and further mitigate the risk of exposure. All in-person students are encouraged to participate weekly in screening. D39 parents may now drop off their child’s saliva sample at either campus of New Trier High School on Sunday from 9:00 am - 2:00 pm. Samples dropped off at New Trier by 2:00 pm on Sunday will be processed on Sunday evening. Samples may also be dropped off at the MEC on Sunday evening or at D39 schools on Monday morning by 9:00 am for processing on Monday evening. If you have not done so already, please register your child to participate.
Metrics Team Update
Our District 39 Metrics Reopening Advisory Team meets every other week, and is scheduled to meet again next Friday morning. The D39 Metrics Dashboard and full report for this week are available online for those interested in reviewing it.
NEW MAY In-Person Events For Remote Learners Announced
We are planning MORE in-person opportunities for our remote students this May at Central School. Students will participate in some fun activities together. If the weather conditions are poor, we will do our activities in the cafeteria, socially distanced.
And just like for our April events, please note the following:
- Students in grades 1-4 will be dropped off on Central Ave in front of the school. We will meet all students to take their temperatures.
Please complete this self-certification form and bring a paper copy with you when you arrive to school. We will collect it from your child.
- Staff will walk your child to the playground and blacktop where we will have hand sanitizer to use before and after playing.
- We will bring all of the students back to the front of the school by the front entrance for pick-up at the end of the hour.
- Please remember that masks are mandatory for everyone - students, staff, and caregivers on school property.
- Kindergartners are invited for another playdate on the kindergarten playground. All students and caregivers must be in masks. *Note - this visit will also include a tour of the school with the principal!
Just like last month, please let us know if your Fox will join us by signing up HERE. Fill out this form as we are using this for attendance, planning, and safety purposes. We look forward to seeing our Foxes in person again soon!
DATES & TIMES:
- Kindergarten: May 14th 9:30-10:30 (AM) and 12:30-1:30 (PM)
- 1st Grade: May 13th 9:30-10:30
- 2nd Grade: May 12th 10:00-11:00
- 3rd Grade: May 12th 1:00-2:00
- 4th Grade: May 10th 10:00-11:00
What if I choose to stay remote?
If you do not want your child to come in-person, we have an alternate virtual activity available during this hour with our librarian Mrs. Diekman. Using grade level appropriate books and activities, Ms Diekman will continue a focus on the way things work. In this session, students will explore the postal service -- from letter writing to your mailbox. Students will need to have paper, a pencil, and crayons or colored pencils.
Topic: Linda Diekman's Zoom Meeting
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 766 855 7526
Playgrounds After School
Now that the weather is warmer, many students are staying after school to play on the school playgrounds. As a reminder, our playgrounds are considered public parks before and after school with no Central school supervisors. Parents and caregivers must supervise children. Please make sure that your children are wearing masks and keeping a safe distance. Thank you!
Safe2Help Illinois = Last Posting
District 39 is participating in a new statewide school safety program called Safe2Help Illinois. This program will offer students a safe and confidential way to share information that may help prevent suicides, school violence, and other threats to student safety.
In the absence of a trusted adult, students can use Safe2Help Illinois to share concerns about themselves or others in a confidential environment.
Safe2Help Illinois has multiple ways to be reached.
A 24/7 helpline 844-4-SAFEIL
Text Safe2 (72332)
Mobile app on App Store or Google Play
Once vetted, the information will be shared with District 39, mental health professionals, and/or local law enforcement, depending on the nature of the tip. This program is intended to encourage students to “seek help before harm,” with the goal of intervening and helping students before they harm themselves or others.Safe2Help Illinois is available to all D39 students, families and staff. Here is a one minute child friendly video explaining Safe2Help.
Wilmette Warriors - This Week!
In an effort to recognize our outstanding students, each classroom teacher is identifying a student from class for a weekly special recognition. Each week, students will be selected for showing characteristics such as kindness, respect, trust, caring, friendship, courage and community. Selected students will receive a certificate and recognition through a short celebration video that will be shared on Friday afternoons. Please CLICK HERE to see the video celebrating our WILMETTE WARRIORS from this week!
Central Avenue Construction Update for 4/30
A Note From Nurse Zito
If anyone in your household has developed symptoms or is awaiting test results due to exposure or symptoms, all students need to be kept home until a negative result is received. Thank you for helping to keep everyone safe.
**Call Central School "Attendance Line" For Absences: 847-512-6150
Monthly Birthday Bash with the Principals
- Students with May birthdays can join us on May 24th at 3pm
- Students with summer birthdays in June, July or August can join us on June 2nd at 3pm!
Here is the Zoom link:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 864 2424 5957
- The Loyola Junior Ramblerettes are hosting Virtual Spring Clinics. Kdg - 5th Grade Dancers; Jr. Ramblerette Clinic on Tuesday, May 4th, 4:30 - 5:30 p.m.
- 6th-8th Grade Dancers; Dance Team Prep Clinic on Tuesday, May 4th 4:30 - 6:00 p.m. (Jazz) and Thursday, May 6th, 4:30 - 6:00 p.m. (Pom).
- Wilmette Wings Soccer Club tryout registration is open for players in Kindergarten - 8th grades interested in travel teams. Register at www.wilmettewings.com/tryouts.
- Trevian Girls Softball Association is adding players to their girls 8-12 year old spring and summer teams.
- Wilmette Baseball Association’s 2021 Spring House League registration is now open for Kdg. through 8th graders.
- Cub Scouts Pack 1 Welcomes all McKenzie students! Contact email@example.com to sign up.
- Covid Catch Up Tutors offers free virtual tutoring by qualified high school students for Pre-K through High School grade levels.
- Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
- Join Girl Scouts! Daisy Launch Event for Pre-K and Kindergarten students and Virtual Girl Scout Events are being held.
Join us on Twitter!
Central School is on Twitter!
- We have TWO Twitter accounts. Please "follow" us at Twitter.com! Explore Central 39 (with our actual "handle" as @explorecentral). With this account, we mostly share student activities that are completed in the Learning Commons (but other activities are often included as well). We are also providing this Twitter feed on our Central School homepage.
- There is also a principal page @BeckyLittmann where you can follow a variety of school happenings including all-school events, classroom activities, PTA enrichment, and school goals.
Save the Dates...
Monday May 3rd-Friday May 7th
- Staff Appreciation Week
May 4th @ 6:30pm
- Virtual Author Visit
- National Nurse's Day
- Spirit Day - Pajama Day!
Monday, May 10th
- Kindergarten Orientation 6-7pm (via Zoom)
Monday, May 31st
- No School: Memorial Day
Wednesday, June 9th
- Last Day for kindergarten
Thursday, June 10th
- Last Day for Grades 1-4 (11:55am Dismissal)